thinkin of sellin her - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > thinkin of sellin her

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thinkin of sellin her

ya i know its a story that brings a tear to my eye but god dammit i really need a more fuel efficient car. my question is how much do you think i could sell her for, i want $4500 here's whats been done:

what she has:
165,000 miles, runs GREAT (got it at 85,000 miles) 80% of the miles i put on it are highway

4x4,

242TC,

rear 8.25 axel

peanut butter interior (clean as it can be)

2 inch block lift, 32 inch BFG AT's (about 6k miles left on em)

things that are new or been replaced:

u-joints (all except for the front drive shaft)

water pump replaced twice.

good year serpentine belt

radiator with less than 10k miles on it

oils been changed every 3k miles (castrol GTX 10w30) (seafoamed every other oil changed through throttle)

tranny's been serviced and fluid has been changed (shifts great)

front and rear axel fluids been changed with royal purple

transfer case fluid replaced

new tranny mount

K&N intake

exhaust manifold replaced with APN

hermonic balancer replaced within the last year.

sparkplugs replaced at right intervals

brakes been done recently.

drag links replaced

shocks replaced with procomp (the cheaper ones)

JCR rear bumper with shackles.

and i'm pretty sure i'm missing alot more, i've worked on her alot, and took really good care of it

barely seen the light of 4x4 maybe used it like 5 times

the problems:
she does have frame damage from someone who rear ended me but she drives fine everything runs great. so i don't think it'll sell well as a DD but more as a Trail rig.

the frame where the steering box is cracked, but i got that welded up and put a C-ROK steeringbox frame bracket bolted on.

she has some body damage but nothing not fixable.

A/C doesn't work:
blower motor needs to be replaced along with the pigtail wiring.

so do you think it would sell for what i'm asking?

Unread 10-13-2009, 01:16 AM   #2
bizzo15
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No offense, but I think $4500 is a little on the high side considering the aforementioned frame damage/body damage. Along with the fact that it's been lifted using blocks, which on these vehicles is known to do bad things to the leaf springs. Depending on your market and how flooded or rare XJ's are you may be able to get that price but in my opinion I would say the Jeep is worth somewhere in the $2500-3500 range.
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:18 AM   #3
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacky_j View Post
2 inch block lift

the problems:
she does have frame damage from someone who rear ended me but she drives fine everything runs great. so i don't think it'll sell well as a DD but more as a Trail rig.

the frame where the steering box is cracked, but i got that welded up and put a C-ROK steeringbox frame bracket bolted on.

she has some body damage but nothing not fixable.

A/C doesn't work:
blower motor needs to be replaced along with the pigtail wiring.

so do you think it would sell for what i'm asking?
No. Your minuses outweigh your pluses. That price would be tough to get even for a mint condition, low miles, 98 up country xj that had been garage kept and only occasionally towed behind the family RV. Routine maintenance items are expected to be done whereas modifications are like meeting a woman with a lot of plastic surgery evident....can be attractive but usually scares the beejeesus out of us. You are trying to sell an old toy so expect old toy prices or keep it and continue to play with it.
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
justanotherjpr

Definitely don't sell it. Scrounge up some cash and buy a beater that gets good mileage. It's a good looking Jeep and there's a fair chance that whoever bought it wouldn't appreciate it. You'll be disappointed with the money you will get after selling it. You'll end up buying another Jeep and putting even more money into it. Ask me how I know...

Edit: I've always felt the reliability and utility of an XJ far outweighed the poor mileage. Not to mention being cheap to fix.

Last edited by justanotherjpr; 10-13-2009 at 08:52 AM..
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

xj's (and good, reliable, long lived vehicle in general) are getting rarer and harder to find. especially with programs urging you to buy a new car because its 'green', when the greenest thing you can do is drive your current ride into the ground (regaurdless of gas mileage) and not manufacture an entirely new vehicle...

keep the xj, it will pay for itself in the long run...
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
Rmart30

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Definitely don't sell it. Scrounge up some cash and buy a beater that gets good mileage..

x 2 On that There are tons of toyota and honda beaters running around for $500- 1000...
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure where you live... but here in Southern Maine.... you are asking to much for it. If you are bent on selling selling... starting watching CL in your area and hit up the Kelly's Blue Book website.

And remember... you will never get what you put into it. I've put thousands into my rig... and I know chances are I would not get much more than what you are asking... just part of the game.

If you wanted to increase gas milage... buy yourself a set of stock tires and runs those on the road... slap on the 32's when wheeling. And also... empty it out... not sure if you are carring a bunch of tools/parts. (I don't even carry my spare and hilift when driving around town)
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupitaboy View Post
No. Your minuses outweigh your pluses. That price would be tough to get even for a mint condition, low miles, 98 up country xj that had been garage kept and only occasionally towed behind the family RV. Routine maintenance items are expected to be done whereas modifications are like meeting a woman with a lot of plastic surgery evident....can be attractive but usually scares the beejeesus out of us. You are trying to sell an old toy so expect old toy prices or keep it and continue to play with it.
This is a very well thought out response, and provides insight into the buyer's perspective.

There's no way I would ever think about paying $4500 for that. Probably not even $1500. Considering you've already put money into it, you might as well fix the frame and body damage, tie up any loose ends and park it in your garage for weekends.

With what you're going to get for it, you're not going to be upgrading in anything but fuel efficiency.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 09:58 AM   #9
98XJinME
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with RC. Not sure where you are located, but here on the Midcoast of Maine, XJs do not sell for that kind of $$$, regardless of the mods, unless they are in pristine condition. Yours, while it looks OK, is far from pristine. For example, I have a 98 Sport 4dr with an AX-15 and a 4.0. It is now completely rust-free, which is extremely rare up here. The rocker panels are brand new. The interior is fair (previous owner showed little love), but the mechanicals are flawless. It has a K&N intake, and a set of Rusty's flares I am waiting for a warmer day to install. I paid $1600 for her, have invested over $2000 to get her as she is today, and if I wanted to sell her, I would expect no more than $3200, maybe $3600 if I had a lift kit on her. Up here, I see people trying to ridiculously price any Jeep with a lift. I know they do not sell, as the ads linger for weeks and months. You should pick up an econobox to drive to work, and keep your XJ; nobody else will love and appreciate her as much as you do.
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #10
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

i do love her, and i do wanna drive her into the ground. but sometimes she frustrates me with the little things it does.

i would of gotten more for the cash for clunkers program, but i really really couldn't stand the thought of it being scraped.
Unread 10-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #11
XJH-007

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
Definitely don't sell it. Scrounge up some cash and buy a beater that gets good mileage. It's a good looking Jeep and there's a fair chance that whoever bought it wouldn't appreciate it. You'll be disappointed with the money you will get after selling it. You'll end up buying another Jeep and putting even more money into it. Ask me how I know...
Ahhh men Reverend Carl

I recently purchased a V8 Grand Cherokee.....you know why?? The small saving in fuel to purchase a good MPG car was offset by the car payment.

Unless you just want a beater and no XJ...go for it. Otherwise any decent mileaged vehicle will come with a car payment, that will most likely offset the additional fuel consumption.....not to mention you will lose your manhood.

Do the math...I mean right down to the dollar on what you'll save. Compare the price/payment with a "good mileage" car that you want, compared to the 1 extra tank of gas per month for the XJ.

I compared my wifes RAV (28mpg-34mpg) and her carpayment to my new WJ getting (16mpg-19mpg) and then cross reference with car payments.

RAV=WJ

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
blacky_j
1998 XJ Cherokee 

awesome, thanks for your help guys, i'll stick with it and fix what needs to be done!
Unread 10-13-2009, 02:00 PM   #13
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Good luck man, 4500 is too high though. 25 would be the top if I was looking. Good choice in sticking with it.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #14
Luke94XJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

the c4c was bull****, dealers weer only offering the c4c money, now they have $5000 cash back and stuff. its waaay better to buy a car now than it was then
Luke94XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2009, 06:05 PM   #15
Jeep450r
1996 XJ Cherokee 

x3 on buying a cheap little honda or toyota beater. Dont sell the XJ, youll regret it.
Jeep450r is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.