think my 8.25 is dying... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > think my 8.25 is dying...

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
Nbonney5413
1998 XJ Cherokee 

think my 8.25 is dying...

The jeep has given me over a year of trouble free usage and with all my hobbies and needing to move things ( MX bikes, sleds, dead stuff) I decided I need a pick-up. so ive been doing some things to get the jeep ready to sell and noticed my trans was loose ( I am lucky enough to have a standard trans XJ ) so I popped a new trans mount in and solved that but now have a hesitation and slam when I put her in gear and let out on the clutch. seems the pinion is slamming into the ring gear inside maybe? theres play back there as well as a Vibration in the rear driveline when on the gas. I don't believe its the Ujoints as they are all less then a year old and the DS has zero play in it but the pinion has the play. I am going to try to drain the rear this week and see if something is chewed up or what but don't know much about rears or what to look at or for or how hard it could be to fix.
any ideas fellas? kinda stuck with the jeep in almost undrivable condition and school starts Wednesday so this is about the worst time this can happen.

Nbonney5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #2
jhickman1
2006 LJ Wrangler 

The only way your pinion could be slamming in to the ring gear is if the backlash is way off. The only ways backlash really get out of adjustment is through gear wear or one of the spanner nuts has loosened up and allowed the carrier to move. On the Chrysler 8.25, the backlash is adjusted and held in spec with large spanner nuts that locate and hold the differential carrier bearings in position. There is a small locking clip that bolts on each of the carrier bearing caps and locks the spanner nut in place. It is possible that one of these has come loose and allowed the spanner and bearing to move. There's a few good writeups on here about rebuilding the 8.25 with lots of pics that might be helpful as you open it up and start looking for the problem.
jhickman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Nbonney5413
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok when I pop the cover Thursday I'll see what I find. May just start looking for a parts jeep and it someone's rear outta it I guess
Nbonney5413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #4
justanotherjpr

Does the pinion have play in and out? back and forth? rotationally? Each of these shows a different kind of wear. Some play rotationally is OK but the other two should have none. Based on what you describe I suspect the spider gears.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2014, 09:10 AM   #5
brute66

Check for worn bushings in rear shackles and rear leaf spring eyes. Sloppy movement in these areas will make the pinion dance around and cause clunks on acceleration.
brute66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.