Things To Tackle When Doing Brake Conversion... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Things To Tackle When Doing Brake Conversion...

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-14-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Things To Tackle When Doing Brake Conversion...

So what else should I do when I do my disk brake conversion.

I am gonna have the axel open, so what else should I be thinking of doing/replacing?

Worth it to re-gear? Have the 8.25 (00 cherokee sport), will be running 33x12.5"s on a 3.5" lift. If I do re-gear what else is involved in that.

What else should I replace when I do the brake conversion, bearings? Joints? Wanna get as much handled as possible.

Thanks

Gnl.Weirdness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Re-gearing is a totally seperate issue and to try and do both while you are working on the axle is going to turn it into a mammoth task. As you are asking this question I guess you don't have the experience to re-gear yourself? Just keep it simple and do the disc conversion as a stand-alone project. All you would be saving by doing both together would be the oil used to refill the axle.

If your axle is sound now then all I would replace is the hub seals as they might start leaking once they have been disturbed and that can lead to oily handbrake shoes and pads (ask me how I know?).

Here's a pointer on the hub seal change - 8.25 hub seal replacement

By the way, I cut my own paper/card gaskets from a big sheet of gasket paper off eBay and if you grease it before using it it can often be reused many times and is a lot easier and more reliable than RTV sealent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #3
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thnx for the advice man, and yes I am new to all this, tis why I am asking these questions
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Bubba46
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are you pulling the disk brakes from a ZJ? That's what I used a while back. Recently I went to the JY and pulled the E-brake cables from a ZJ even though everyone said they can't be used... They can't w/ the current XJ "mix box". I used the ZJ "mix box" and mounted it in the DS tunnel under the rear seat and it worked pretty well. Something to keep in mind and save from buying Liberty cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintagogo View Post
If your axle is sound now then all I would replace is the hub seals as they might start leaking once they have been disturbed and that can lead to oily handbrake shoes and pads (ask me how I know?).

Here's a pointer on the hub seal change - 8.25 hub seal replacement
Now, to steal a little on the threat:
What lubricates the rear axle bearings? Is is grease or Gear oil?

'06 WK Limited 4.7 V-8 w/ QD-II, 245/70R17 Revos II
Bubba46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #5
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

yeh, I am pretty much scrapping the e-brake for the time being. I need to redo the entire system, it's F****D.

Actually talked with a local brake shop and the guy who runs it might be helping me with the conversion cus he has been wanting to do it himself for ages.
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba46 View Post
What lubricates the rear axle bearings? Is is grease or Gear oil?
The bearings in the C-clip axles (Dana 35 or Chrysler 8.25) are lubricated by the gear oil from the pumpkin that sloshes around the axle tubes while cornering and on sideslopes. I have never seen one but I believe the none C-clip Dana 35 axle from the earlier models (1980's?) have greased bearings that are seperate from the axle oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #7
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

someone recommended I change those bearings out when I do the brake conversion. Just have little idea of how to do that myself. It makes sense though given I am sure they are somewhat worn.
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
justanotherjpr

It was probably me. They're pretty easy with a slide hammer.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Gnl.Weirdness
2000 XJ Cherokee 

haha it was you indeed my man

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.