Are these control arm bushings bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Are these control arm bushings bad?

Currie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-27-2013, 03:15 AM   #1
Dcoy

Are these control arm bushings bad?

I'm trying to diagnose a crazy 50-55mph wobble in my newly lifted Cherokee. The only part that I can find any abnormal play ( I think ) in are these upper control arm bushings. Just not sure if are truly are bad or not..... take a look and let me know, Thank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBYY_iqoQEg

Dcoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
RLE
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Great job on the video. IMHO that looks like a lot of play in the upper bushings. I had very bad death wobble at about that speed, too, and it never went away until I replaced the upper bushings. They are more difficult to change which is why they tend to be neglected. While you're at it, replace the lower ones.

You can replace them with rubber or poly ones. Poly ones are stiffer at first but compress over time and do not last as long as rubber. I replaced mine with Moog poly last time and have been happy with the result.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:02 AM   #3
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You need to do a front end inspection. With the vehicle on the ground have somone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at everything in the front. There should be no slop, track bars are the number one cause for DW, but not always...
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
Dcoy

I have replaced the track bar already and a tie rod end. Everything else under there is solid. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitexj98 View Post
You need to do a front end inspection. With the vehicle on the ground have somone turn the wheel back and forth while you look at everything in the front. There should be no slop, track bars are the number one cause for DW, but not always...
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #5
Dcoy

Thanks, nothing else would i rather be doing this weekend then working on my jeep!

QUOTE=RLE;15612998]Great job on the video. IMHO that looks like a lot of play in the upper bushings. I had very bad death wobble at about that speed, too, and it never went away until I replaced the upper bushings. They are more difficult to change which is why they tend to be neglected. While you're at it, replace the lower ones.

You can replace them with rubber or poly ones. Poly ones are stiffer at first but compress over time and do not last as long as rubber. I replaced mine with Moog poly last time and have been happy with the result.[/QUOTE]
Unread 06-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Its not uncommon for the track bar bolt to be wallered out either... have you inspected like i suggested? Just pushing and pulling on componets wont show all slop.

The upper bushings do look to have some excessive slop, wont hurt to replace them. I would only put moog rubbers in. Replacing is really pretty easy. Use a drilll bit to make multiple holes in the rubber then you can take a hammer and chissel and collapse the sleve and drive it out. The passenger can be installed by tapping it in, but the driver side doesnt have much room for swinging a hammer so a ball joint press tool works pretty good to install them.
Unread 06-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #7
Dcoy

Had the wife do it before, thats how I found the bad track bar, but it wouldn't hurt to do it again. Thanks.

Quote:
Its not uncommon for the track bar bolt to be wallered out either... have you inspected like i suggested? Just pushing and pulling on componets wont show all slop.

The upper bushings do look to have some excessive slop, wont hurt to replace them. I would only put moog rubbers in. Replacing is really pretty easy. Use a drilll bit to make multiple holes in the rubber then you can take a hammer and chissel and collapse the sleve and drive it out. The passenger can be installed by tapping it in, but the driver side doesnt have much room for swinging a hammer so a ball joint press tool works pretty good to install them.
Unread 06-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Dcoy

wow man, just had the wife turn the wheel and my axle is for sure moving around under there. The axle side of my new track bar is moving a good bit, looks like the bushing is bad because the bolt isn't moving so the mounting hole isn't oval. upper control arms seam to have some play, ordered them today.

Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.