Thermostat without air hole - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Thermostat without air hole

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 06-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #16
willobegolfer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Be sure to flush the heater core while your at it. You'll get a lot of gunk out of it too. Just take the hoses off the thermostat and alternate the water hose between the 2 hoses flushing both ways. Don't use a spray nozzle though. The high pressure could put a hole in the heater core. Just put the water hose up to the hoses and let it flush. I kept having issues with high temp. I did everything. Replaced hoses, thermostat several times, water pump which the fins were corroded off, and a new radiator, and it was still running warmer than need be. Flushed the heater core since it was also in the flow of the system and it started working at normal temps. It was actually blocking the flow of fluid from circulating. I would also say go ahead and replace the pump. My jeep is a 2000 and there were no fins left to circulate the fluid, and it's anly around $35. Hope this helps.

willobegolfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #17
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think I've decided how we're gonna attack this thing.

New Stant SuperStat, new radiator cap, new water pump, new radiator.

Gonna flush all the junk out with water and a chemical flush before installing the new parts.
jdc48160 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #18
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93gc40 View Post
......... Are the fans working corectly? ........
Dont forget the 93gc40 comment while your throwing some money at it.

A good radiator provides cooled liquid for a good waterpump to shunt around .... but a good fanclutch makes sure the radiator is cooling properly

The fanclutch spin test is only indicative and I agree with what djb383 said ... If you dont the history of the current one ... Replace it.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #19
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
Dont forget the 93gc40 comment while your throwing some money at it.

A good radiator provides cooled liquid for a good waterpump to shunt around .... but a good fanclutch makes sure the radiator is cooling properly

The fanclutch spin test is only indicative and I agree with what djb383 said ... If you dont the history of the current one ... Replace it.
Almost forgot about that! Fan clutch too while I'll have it all torn apart. Duh.
Unread 06-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well, mere days before tackling the issues with the Jeep, it had enough today and started blowing steam out from under the hood, luckily, just as my girl was pulling it into her driveway.

So, tomorrow, it goes to the pros at a local shop I've used before.

I'm gonna leave this one to the pros.

Means I can move on to the next thing with the Jeep. New shocks.
Unread 06-05-2011, 10:46 PM   #21
richyrich514
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.olypen.com/craigh/rad.htm
richyrich514 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 06:54 PM   #22
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Turns out it was the water pump. It took a ****. Wasn't leaking, but, the old nasty coolant that had been in there for who knows how long, had corroded the fins off the impeller, so it wasn't hardly pushing coolant thru the system.

New water pump is going in today, as well as another new thermostat since it did overheat, and a new radiator cap to maintain the proper pressure in the system.
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:51 PM   #23
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc48160 View Post
........the old nasty coolant that had been in there for who knows how long..........
Time for a new radiator maybe to go with that new pump?
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 07:57 PM   #24
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Time for a new radiator maybe to go with that new pump?
I'm thinking so.

Electric fan isn't working either. Relay is probably bad.
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:27 PM   #25
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Alot of that rusty crap from the water pump impeller is probably clogging the radiator.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
jdc48160
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Alot of that rusty crap from the water pump impeller is probably clogging the radiator.
Its next.

Running WAY better already. Staying around 210 or even slightly below now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.