Thermostat caused me to have a leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Thermostat caused me to have a leak?

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREERuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 07-10-2006, 09:57 PM   #1
CherokeeClassic

Thermostat caused me to have a leak?

So today I left my jeep running (98 cherokee classic) for about 10 mins (100 degrees outside) with the air on. I came outside and my return line to the water pump was leaking at the clamp. Possible the thermostat wasn't working and causing back pressure and making the hose and clamp leak? So i went and got a 190 thermostat and installed it. Refilled everything and my temp gauge is really stable now and no leaks.... anyone else seen anything like this? thanks

stu

CherokeeClassic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #2
Pizza Man!

I saw my Grampa make a new gasket for the t-stat housing on his Bronco II, using a peice of asbestos, a utility knife and and a ball-peen hammer on the side of the road once, when I was a kid.

And Yes I run pies in my XJ, and I don't know how the guy with the integra gets up those washed-out farm driveways.

As always, my signature is a work in progress[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Pizza Man! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2006, 07:50 AM   #3
Thayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherokeeClassic
So today I left my jeep running (98 cherokee classic) for about 10 mins (100 degrees outside) with the air on. I came outside and my return line to the water pump was leaking at the clamp. Possible the thermostat wasn't working and causing back pressure and making the hose and clamp leak? So i went and got a 190 thermostat and installed it. Refilled everything and my temp gauge is really stable now and no leaks.... anyone else seen anything like this? thanks

stu
The hose and clamp sees that "back pressure" everytime you start your car when it's cold. Maybe the clamp was just loose or the hose wasn't seated well...?
[SIZE=1]1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
[/SIZE]
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #4
xjmatt

I'd be more weary of the hose and clamp than the T-stat. I've seen the return hose wear through above the clamp because the hose is in such a tight position and rubs against the head with the normal engine vibration. I'd pull that upper hose and take a good look at it especially around where the clamp seats.
RE 4.5" lift 33x12.5x15 ProComp AT's on AR 767's
JKS QD's RE HD trac bar & frame mount
Disc's on all 4 corners, stopping fast is so nice
Rusty's Airtube with K&N and Hella 500's on an ARB Bull Bar
xjmatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.