thermal fuse, blower motor and fan controller woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > thermal fuse, blower motor and fan controller woes

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
Zamboni0neXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

thermal fuse, blower motor and fan controller woes

I have replaced everything mentioned above and some twice. Something is making the load on the thermal resistor enough to make it fail and go into the high only setting. On top of that, the controller, under heavy load (ac mainly) shuts off and on every 4 seconds. Blower motor is brand new, thermal resistor was brand new. Replace the controller unit and the plug on the drivers side. Plug was melted and damaged. Haven't taken it apart to see if it got nuked yet.

Please send any and all ideas my way. I am brain shot now.

Zamboni0neXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #2
BrunoS

sounds like case of high voltage under the hood.

1) what year xj is this?

2) what is the engine running battery voltage?

3) common failure part in 96 and older xj was the blower speed switch, which got dirty/hot spots/failed at the wiring harness connector (would smell like melted plastic at the dash when the blower was on hi speed).

4) if that speed switch connector is fried (like mine was) then you may have a short at that point which is causing your problems;

5) or your alternator is overcharging (like 16 volts or more) and this is yet another thread.
Magnaflow Muffler / High-flo Cat / MSD Coil
BrunoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #3
Zamboni0neXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I forgot to fill out my profile sorry. Its a 99 sport.

Voltage has been normal. I did smell what seemed to be an odd smell after replacing the controller. I am leaning towards it being a bad controller, but never thought about a short. Thanks, I will begin my painful search.
Unread 07-03-2010, 09:42 AM   #4
myriad360
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check the fuse values in your fuse box if this circuit is included, something is running hotter than it should. X 2 above, if the fuses are correct, you probably have a short somewhere. Ammeter?
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L, White. Bought in Vancouver, WA in 2003. 1st Jeep, White. Bought with 3" lift, added Pacesetter header and 40 series Flowmaster
myriad360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Zamboni0neXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think I tracked the short down. It was in the blower motor itself. Resistor was still good. Swapped out blower motor and no problems so far.
Unread 07-04-2010, 01:31 PM   #6
myriad360
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni0neXJ View Post
I think I tracked the short down. It was in the blower motor itself. Resistor was still good. Swapped out blower motor and no problems so far.
Didn't you already replace the blower motor?
1988 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L, White. Bought in Vancouver, WA in 2003. 1st Jeep, White. Bought with 3" lift, added Pacesetter header and 40 series Flowmaster
myriad360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Whackmaster
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I was having the same problem with my 99...After replacing the blower motor twice it worked fine for about 3 months but it is back to the old way...I have given up............

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.