Is there something wrong with my leafs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Is there something wrong with my leafs

Labor Day Sale!Clayton Off Road - last day of the Labor Day special!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #1
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Is there something wrong with my leafs

I bought my jeep a few months ago since then I put in a spacer shackle budget booster and my back end seems to be sitting rather low. I looked at my leaf springs and there is almost no arch to them. Should I buy new springs? Get them re-bent?

imag0294.jpg   imag0292.jpg  
99_XJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #2
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

They look worn but from the side it doesn't look that bad.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The extended shackle has put extra stress on your 14 year old leafs and accelerated the sag that comes with age. Longer shackles are not a great choice for stock leaf packs - especially old ones.

You need to either replace the stock leaf packs, or rebuild what you've got into a bastard pack. If you were to grab the main leaf from another XJ, cut just the curving up part of the eye leaving as much flat leaf as possible, you could rebuild what you've got.

Other BP donor choices are Explorer, Dakota, S10, Dodge Van - any 2.5" leaf will do, but you do not want to get a thick leaf that will stiffen the ride too much.
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

would I be just better off getting a whole new pack?
Unread 07-29-2013, 09:06 PM   #5
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Stock leaf packs are soft, flexy and lightweight for a smoooth ride and don't deal well with the extra stresses extended shackles bring. Those leaves are worn out and lost their arch. Get some new leaf packs, but not OEM if you're looking for added lift.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Congratulations Spokes as our August COTM!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
steiny93
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_XJ_ View Post
would I be just better off getting a whole new pack?
if you want stock ride and height they replacing these with oem's is the fix

if you want to change height then you have quite a few options in regards to the packs (bastard pack / add a leaf / different now oem leaf pack)

its kinda a preference deal
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #7
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiny93 View Post
if you want stock ride and height they replacing these with oem's is the fix

if you want to change height then you have quite a few options in regards to the packs (bastard pack / add a leaf / different now oem leaf pack)

its kinda a preference deal
I already have the shackles, I want to make the clearance in the rear a little more, every time i go wheeling the rear only hits. I just want my back end to look lifted, to me it looks stock now. I'm not too trusting with used leafs, but would i just be better off getting AAL or 2 new leaf packs.
Unread 07-30-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

If you do not want to get used springs, AAL's could be a good choice. Make sure you get full length AAL's, not the short ones.
jserna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Mywrangler94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I am going through the same quandry...i've gotten in touch with Morris 4X4, since on their site, they list 9 different springs with 9 different arches. Anywhere from 5 1/8 arch to 7" of arch. All of them have 4 leafs. Dont want to ride like I'm on a sled...my YJ does that, BUT, I don't want to feel like im on a marshmallow either. So when I hear from them, I will let anyone who is interested know. By the way, the jeep is a 98 with 85,000 miles, no rust, everything works, and it was free...lol. so I think I'll keep it and get rid of the TJ I have..Will keep you all posted if your interested....
Mywrangler94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I replaced the oe springs with rancho packs. They work great, the ride more firm but not harsh. If i remember correctly, they gave about 2in of lift. They were not expensive either.
Unread 07-30-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
99_XJ_
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserna View Post
I replaced the oe springs with rancho packs. They work great, the ride more firm but not harsh. If i remember correctly, they gave about 2in of lift. They were not expensive either.
Now would that be 2in onto of my 2in shackles, or would it be 2in including my shackles...

I'm new to the Jeep world haha, i used to be in the vw community (big mistake I know) so Im just asking a lot of questions, even though it sounds like i don't know a damn thing.
Unread 07-31-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't add AAL's to your saggy OEM leaf packs.
Look up "shackle relocation brackets". Depending on the length of your shackles, and the angle you install them at, you'll add about 2" to what ever height you are at.
If that's all the lift you want, then get new OEM springs and spacers for the front coils to level it out.
If you want more lift, just keep in mind the 2" the brackets add.
There is also a way to net less lift by using one brand of bracket that requires you to cut out the factory shackle pockets.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #13
jserna
1987 YJ Wrangler 

The rancho springs gave the 2in of lift minus the longer shackle. I later installed the longer shackle when I installed a 4in teraflex lift.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.