Are there any short axle CV kits for XJs? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Are there any short axle CV kits for XJs?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGCurrie RockJock Products!!

Unread 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #16
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gs69350 View Post
Timo, I get what you are saying. For me, this is a DD with a maybe 4x a year wheeling trip, nothing extreme, no plans for locking the front either. (i'm assuming your front is locked, which is probably why you are breaking the axles)
Two shafts broke with the front locker deactivated, one (aftermarket, IIRC Cardone shaft) with the locker engaged. The places where I snapped them weren't that extreme, I've gone through those same spots fairly easily on ie. worn 245/75 R16s. I guess the torque of the niner and 32s were too much for the CVs

On a daily driver with no extreme wheeling, I'm sure the CVs will hold up fine. I'm also providing info for other people who might read this thread and are considering on "upgrading" to stock ZJ CVs. I agree 100% with you that the CVs work a lot smoother than U- joints, especially at close to full lock. As I wrote, I really should've bought the RCVs instead of the u-joint cromo- shafts

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:40 AM   #17
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

So we agree, for a DD / tame wheeler, stock CV's are fine. Mild to wild wheeler should stick with Ujoints or RCVs.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #18
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs69350 View Post
So we agree, for a DD / tame wheeler, stock CV's are fine. Mild to wild wheeler should stick with Ujoints or RCVs.
I agree with that ^ (based on my recent research).

However, the Cardone Select brand are a little stronger/better than stock CVs. No where near the strength of RCVs of course, but the Cardone Select parts price is only $112.

If the Cardone Select brand are a little stronger than stock ZJ CVs that is enough for me.

In any case, the CVs will be better when I'm in Full Time 4 Wheel Drive on patchy snow/ice on road because I can turn a tight corner while moderately accelerating without binding. That's what I'm after.

When in Part Time 4 Wheel Drive off road, I think the Cardone Select brand of CVs will be strong enough for my 31s. Some guys at NAXJA are using them offroad with 35s with good results. So I think I can with 31s.

If I someday stroke the engine, I'll go to RVC aka Longfeld.
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #19
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I wish I still had the Longfeld from my LJ.

How come people always talk about RCV instead of Longfeld? Are RCV a better price?

Edited in Later: I realize they are the same axles sold under two different brands. But why does everyone here refer to them as RCV instead of Longfield?
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Are these a simple swap in? Anything need to be changed/clearanced?
freebird_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #21
gs69350

1998 ZJ 

Freebird,

As long as you don't have the axle disconnect then they are a straight swap. If you have the disconnect then you'll have to remove the actuator and install a seal.
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited Platinum; 2" BB, 225/75/16 Wrangler MT/R --GONE--
http://www.facebook.com/groups/59limited/ <-- 5.9 Owner's group on FB.
gs69350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird_78 View Post
Are these a simple swap in? Anything need to be changed/clearanced?
As far as I know, any of the CV options discussed are simple swap-in/bolt-in for YJ, TJ, or XJ.

Stock ZJ CVs, Cardone Select CVs for ZJ, RCV, and Longfield CV are all direct swap-in for YJ, TJ, ZJ, or XJ.
Unread 07-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #23
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

This is an awesome thread IMO. To bad the YJ, TJ, ZJ guys are missing out on it here in XJ section of forum.

Oh well. Hooray for XJ forum!
Unread 07-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
freebird_78
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Just might have to try this out sometime soon. It appears that Oreily's sells what is probably the same part (MasterPro P/N 60-3221) as the Cardone (P/N 66-3221). Their "select" P/N is CH-8221. Wouldn't think the similarities in the P/Ns is a coincidence, but I could be wrong.
freebird_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:57 AM   #25
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well, here is what I've concluded from NAXJA, this thread at JF, another thread at JF, and from a Youtube video about Cardone Select compared to other options.

Cardone Select CV shafts are stronger than stock ZJ shafts, but not as strong as stock XJ U-joint shafts. At least when driving straight.

When turning sharp, U-joints are less strong than it is when driving straight. CV shafts are at their full strength at any angle.

So although the stock XJ U-joint shafts are strong than Cardone Select when driving straight, their strength is similar when turning sharp. IMO

Also, the Cardone Select (or any CV) are smoother operating than any U-joint shaft. Smoother is easier on T-case and entire driveline. I've never broken a stub shaft, but I have broken a T-case. Smoother also gives better traction.

So there are advantages and disadvantages to each of the above options, and both are cheap. Of the above options, I prefer Cardone Select because CV is smoother and easier on my T-case. What costs more, a $56 stub shaft or T-case?

The RCV is an expensive option, but offer CV smoothness with max strength. Best of all worlds, except cost.
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:02 AM   #26
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

When buying CV shafts, just make sure to get something that is at least OEM quality. The cheap complete CV shafts mostly are apalling quality. I've seen people have them go bad within a year of purchase in city/ highway driving, and they don't handle any serious loads when wheeling. In those shafts it's usually the CV joints that fail (broken cups, balls go bad, etc..).

As mentioned, stock shafts and some of the aftermarket versions are OK up to moderate offroad use. Some people succesfully have used CVs up to 35s on both ZJs and XJs on fairly hard trails, but IMO you definitely need to carry along spares in that case.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #27
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Since I'm only going to use 31s and my engine is stock, I'm going with Cardone Select, but if I stroke engine in future, I'll want RCV, even with 31s.

One factor that gets over looked is the smoothness of CVs reduces strain on rest of driveline.
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:25 AM   #28
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Cardone Select CV shafts are stronger than stock ZJ shafts, but not as strong as stock XJ U-joint shafts. At least when driving straight.
I have not seen any actual proof of this, and actually looking at the pictures of the said Cardone CV shafts they look exactly like the stock shafts (with the neckdown where the CV boot crimp is). Materials may vary, but generally every single aftermarket shaft that is NOT a Cromo shaft uses materials that are not as strong as OEM stuff.

Quote:
When turning sharp, U-joints are less strong than it is when driving straight. CV shafts are at their full strength at any angle.

So although the stock XJ U-joint shafts are strong than Cardone Select when driving straight, their strength is similar when turning sharp.
This is when talking about the joints, and it is 100% true. U-joint shafts are are stronger because of the shaft design, but the joint itself is not as strong when getting closer to full lock under torque. IMO the reason for the bad reputation on CVs in Jeeps is the design of the joints and shafts, not the type of the joint itself. Apart from US- built 4wd vehicles with live axles, the vast majority uses CV- style shafts and those axles are considered very strong (except for the older Range Rover 10- spline Salisbury axles - which are basically a design by Dana axle corp. ).

Quote:
One factor that gets over looked is the smoothness of CVs reduces strain on rest of driveline.
You always get wheelhop - even with CVs - but it is true they reduce strain on the drivetrain. I like the smoothness of them when applying torque when turning, I just don't like the stock shaft design Take it easy on rock ledges etc., and you should be fine on 31s

***Under construction***
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #29
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Cardone Select uses better materials and heat treating than other aftermarket brands, and is often better than OEM brands too.

I'm not saying Cardone Select is a lot stronger than a OEM stock ZJ CV axle, but I think it is some stronger.

Cardone Select also uses better designed rubber boots to prevent boot failure.

The Cardone Select are a reasonable price at $56 per side, or $112 total.

Please watch the Cardone Select video on Youtube. I'd post a link to it here if I could, but my POS phone won't paste. Google it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.