Testing neutral safety switch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Testing neutral safety switch

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
In_da_middle

Testing neutral safety switch

---------------

In_da_middle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
Its_A_JeepThing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

are you wanting to know how to test or???
Unread 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Its_A_JeepThing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Warning: During the following checks there is a chance that the vehicle could lunge forward causing damage or injuries. Allow plenty of room around the vehicle, apply the parking brake firmly and hold down the regular brake pedal during the checks.
1. Automatic transmission equipped models have a neutral start switch which prevents the engine from starting unless the shift lever is in neutral or park.
2. Try to start the vehicle in each gear. The engine should crank only in park or neutral.
3. Make sure the steering column lock allows the key to go into the lock position only when the shift lever is in park.
4. The ignition key should come out only in the lock position.

If you have a standard transmission just let me know and I will tell you what you must do. Your welcome
Unread 02-04-2012, 12:28 AM   #4
Mdeez415
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Everything was running well with the new battery an alternator. It took alittle while to turn over sometimes so I thought a new starter was in the works in the near future, today it stopped turning over. Not dead, just not turning over. I got it towed home and took out and replaced starter. It started right up like 5 times. Then boom. Its not turning over, again. Just keeps cranking. How can this happen with a new starter? I'm really confused. It's stuck at a friends house kinda far away and I just wanna get it home. HELLLLP!!!
1988 4.0 L 5 spd Laredo
Mdeez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 06:23 AM   #5
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You say its not turning over but is cranking???
Unread 02-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
Its_A_JeepThing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

easy....CPS Crankshaft position sensor
Unread 02-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #7
Mdeez415
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It is cranking like it wants to start, and it did start a few times after the new starter. Its seems like it "wants" to turn over, but wont. I was reading on the neutral safety switch, but dont kno.The jeep is stuck at a friends house like an hour away. bummed. what can i do or check?
Mdeez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 05:17 PM   #8
Its_A_JeepThing
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Definatly sounds like the CPS, to check to see if it is the CPS you try a few things.
TO CHECK CPS:
1. Disconnect the CPS electrical connector from the main wiring harness from the rear of the intake manifold.
2. If your working on a 91 or earlier model, connect an ohmmeter across terminals a and b (marked on the connector). The meter should read 200+- 75 ohms on a hot engine.
3. If your working on a 1992 or later model, Check the resistance between the B and C terminals (marked on the connector). The meter should indicate no continuity (open).
4. If the readings are not to specification, replace the CPS.
TO REPLACE CPS:
1.Disconnect the electrical connector from the CPS.
2. Detatch the CPS by removing the two bolts on the transmission bell housing on the drivers side, which are facing the firewall. Trace the electrical connector to the sensor.
3. Installation is reverse operation.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.