Temperature Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Temperature Question

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 01-23-2012, 07:52 AM   #1
MrKevinRosales
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Temperature Question

So I've got a '96 Country and it still runs great, One thing that i have noticed though is that the temperature gauge never goes about a quarter of the way.
From what I know shouldn't the temperature gauge typically be half way across?
The Jeep was originally my dad's and he says that this started happening last time the radiator was changed, and that prior to that, the gauge had always been at the halfway point.
Is there something wrong with this?

Also my heating doesn't really work very well, could this be part of the issue?

MrKevinRosales is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
GtiKyle
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thermostat could be stuck open. Was this changed at the time of the radiator? Some people think that to avoid overheating, they pull the thermostat. Makes things worse, so i'd check that first.
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #3
blackgnx
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yep yep thermostat. while the engine is cold and started up feel you upper hose is it firm? if not eirther it's low on coolant or the stat is stuck open somwhat.
blackgnx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

+3.....low temp reading AND poor heater performance are most likely due to a stuck open (or missing) t-stat. FWIW, a firm hose has nothing to do with the t-stat....but rather a cooling system with no leaks and a good rad cap. Pressure should rise equally throughout the system as the coolant temp rises, regardless of t-stat being open/closed......t-stat may not even be in there but pressure should still rise 'till rad cap rating is reached.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #5
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKevinRosales View Post
So I've got a '96 Country and it still runs great, One thing that i have noticed though is that the temperature gauge never goes about a quarter of the way.
From what I know shouldn't the temperature gauge typically be half way across?
The Jeep was originally my dad's and he says that this started happening last time the radiator was changed, and that prior to that, the gauge had always been at the halfway point.
Is there something wrong with this?

Also my heating doesn't really work very well, could this be part of the issue?

I'd pull the thermostat out for a look, first up ... you'll probably find its a 160* ... or its stuck/sticking, open/partly open.

Drop a new 190 / 195 in ... make sure you have at 12qts of coolant in there ... and see how it responds.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok so I kind of have the oppisite affect here on mine, it will stay little under half way, if it idles for more than 5 minutes starts getting hotter and hotter, and then makes its way past the half way mark! im sure this isnt normal, thermo replaced about 6 months ago, doesnt have a breather hole on the thermo dont know if it matters, is there something else I can do to keep it cool? I have mostly water in the RAD could that be doing it?
Camfam07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
ok so I kind of have the oppisite affect here on mine, it will stay little under half way, if it idles for more than 5 minutes starts getting hotter and hotter, and then makes its way past the half way mark! im sure this isnt normal, thermo replaced about 6 months ago, doesnt have a breather hole on the thermo dont know if it matters, is there something else I can do to keep it cool? I have mostly water in the RAD could that be doing it?
actually it is fairly normal ... up to a point - as the fans should kick in and control it.

Sounds like an airflow problem ... so consider fitting a new fan clutch if you dont know how old yours is ... and make sure the electric fan is operational.

T'Stat breather hole assists with clearing air pockets ... can be useful

Water Only - in the rad is better for cooling .... Not so good for rust or in freezing conditions ... but it wont be the cause, of an overheating situation.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Carves replying to a cooling system question.....

WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT??
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks I was thinking it was the Clutch fan, and im thinking of upgrading to a 2 row radiator with the electric fan? and then can I remove the fan clutch and just have the pulley on there??
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfam07 View Post
Thanks I was thinking it was the Clutch fan, and im thinking of upgrading to a 2 row radiator with the electric fan? and then can I remove the fan clutch and just have the pulley on there??
2 electric fans actually*, I want to do the conversion and fully get the fan clutch out of the equation.
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:36 PM   #11
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Much easier/cheaper to replace the fan clutch.
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Much easier/cheaper to replace the fan clutch.
Yeah but "EASY" takes all the fun out of things, lol but I think for now most affordable and best route to go is fan clutch, I cannot think of anything else as far as cooling goes even replaced the water pump about a week ago and still getting overheating only idleing never overheats when towing a little bass tracker boat and or Road Trips. Fan Clutch and/or a high flow thermo housing is all I can think to replace now.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I'll bet after the radiator, fan clutch, water pump, t-stat and rad cap have been replaced, overheating will be a non-issue. Fan shrouds are in place, correct?
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #14
Camfam07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
I'll bet after the radiator, fan clutch, water pump, t-stat and rad cap have been replaced, overheating will be a non-issue. Fan shrouds are in place, correct?
Yes shrouds are in place, havent replaced the RAD yet but thats next and if I do I will do the 2 row and just use 2-3 electric fans, to cool it.... anyways, yeah so far new water pump and thermo. but im thinking the fan clutch is stock, ill start there.
Unread 01-23-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When u say stock, do u mean original? Is the rad original?

Tags
heat , temperature gauge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.