Temperature Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Temperature Issue

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #1
jenkayleen

Temperature Issue

Hi, hoping you guys can help me out again. I have a 98, and the temperature gauge reads normal operating temperature, 210 after it had enough time to warm up after driving. But sometimes after driving a little while at 210, the gauge will drop to about 140ish and stay there. The engine seems to not change with the gauge, the top radiator hose seemed hot as one would expect it to be during the incident. Verified the temperature the gauge was reading at idle with a scanner, it seemed to match when things were working properly. The engine does have the proper amount of coolant. Any ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

jenkayleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The primary suspect is the "coolant temperature sensor". It is located on the top of the thermostat housing. It is a very common failure on the 4.0

I suggest you purchase a Mopar sensor direct from Jeep for the best accuracy/reliability/mating with your factory coolant temperature gauge.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
jenkayleen

Thank you so much! It was bothering me quite a while, nice to finally have an answer.
jenkayleen is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.