Temp Guage not working...not the sending unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Temp Guage not working...not the sending unit

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-27-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Temp Guage not working...not the sending unit

So my temperature guage isn't working in the new XJ... I pulled the sending unit out of the old one and swapped it in...no dice. I know that unit is good becuase the guage worked fine in the old one. What else can I check? Is there a fuse for that? I assumed it had to be the sending unit.

Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
..... I pulled the sending unit out of the old one and swapped it in...no dice. I know that unit is good because the gauge worked fine in the old one. .......
What old one ?

Check the wire harness and wire connector for corrosion or damage.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, that was totally unclear. The "old one" is my '99 XJ that my wife drove into a tree. I'm sure the sending unit was good because the guage worked fine in that XJ. So when I put that sending unit into this one, it didn't work.

the harness and connector look great...no corrosion or issues that I can see.
Unread 01-27-2011, 01:42 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The sender inputs to the PCM, the PCM uses the data to run the engine and to display on the dashboard.

So the problem is either the sender, the wires, or the gauge in the instrument cluster. You could swap the 99 cluster into the new Cherokee.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
severous01

well, check the cluster.
Unread 01-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #6
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's so cool having a spare everything. I highly reccomend it. I'll check the cluster next. Hate tearing the dash apart though. What a pain.
Unread 01-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #7
440_Magnum
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
It's so cool having a spare everything. I highly reccomend it. I'll check the cluster next. Hate tearing the dash apart though. What a pain.
The cluster really isn't bad on a 2nd-gen Cherokee. It helps to lower the tilt wheel ALL the way down.
2001 Cherokee Sport automatic 4x2 (sold)
440_Magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

If I swap the clusters will the odometer reading stay the same, or will I see the reading for the jeep the cluster came out of? where is that info stored?
Unread 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #9
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I swapped the clusters and found out that the odometer reading is apparently stored in the cluster. I got the reading from the old jeep.. I want to swap the old motor (93k miles) into this jeep this summer, so I decided not to use that cluster...i'll swap it in when I do the motor and have an accurate reading on that motor. The temp guage did work though...

I put the original cluster back in and the temp guage magically worked on it too...loose connection apparently. Sweet.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.