tech questions, bumper/frame strength. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > tech questions, bumper/frame strength.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 02-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

tech questions, bumper/frame strength.

I have a 98 sport and Im building a really tough brush guard for it. Im wondering what kind of hit the unibody will be able to take seeing as brush guard ties into it, and will not bend or flex at all.
also I have stock shocks on it and Im wondering if its weight (75-80 pounds) will hurt my shocks.

dandiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 01:49 PM   #2
mpwal099
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Are you simply adding a brush guard onto the factory bumper or building a whole new bumper? If a new bumper, build tie in brackets that will allow you to add more strength by giving more mounting points for your bumper. Instead of just the 3 stock mounting holes, you wind up with 6. Going that route will add a lot of strength to it and more rigidity against bumps and pulls.

Also your shocks should be fine. Springs may sag a bit, but not much. maybe 1/2" at most.
Unread 02-29-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

im actually building the brushgaurd around the bumper. it mounts with the same holes the bumper does, then comes under the bumper out and up to cover the front of the jeep. i figured i would try tying in the same hole that the tow hook mounts use, thats a little farther back, but it looks a little tricky to do without mounting it on the jeep first.
Unread 02-29-2008, 03:52 PM   #4
mpwal099
1997 XJ Cherokee 

From my understanding of how you are doing it, your brush guard will be no stronger than your stock bumper. And the weight you are talking for just a brush guard seems pretty high to me. My JCR winch bumper is less weight then that.
Unread 02-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #5
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

what makes you say it wont be stronger? is it only where i mount it that matters? your right it is a lot heavier than a normal one because i designed it to be a lot stronger than most, so when you say it mont be any stronger than the sheetmetal its concerning lol.
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #6
mpwal099
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just think it is not going to provide the strength you think it will because you are using the stock mounting holes. Your bumper will only provide as much protection as those holes are strong. Kind of like the weakest link in the chain idea. The metal that the stock bumper attaches to is thin as it is. Put a heavy addition on it, and maybe hit something and those mounts are going to give out.
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwal099 View Post
The metal that the stock bumper attaches to is thin as it is.
X2

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
mpwal099
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
X2

perfect example.
Unread 02-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
cheapfix
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
X2

Nice shot. Do you know the story behind this pic? I kind of picture an xj sucked down in a mudhole and some maniac in a 3/4 ton with 10 feet of slack in the tow strap trying to "snap" it out of the hole... ugly.
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

well im glad you pointed that out while im still in the process of building it lol. where are the holes you suggested i use?
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapfix View Post
Do you know the story behind this pic?
Cherokee owner gets cheap off-road bumper that only attaches using the three stock bumper bolts. Cherokee gets gets stuck on the trail. Friends attach tow strap to bumper and yank. Bumper flies completely off, pulling loose on both sides.

If you are going to build something solid, safe and useful, use this diagram --> http://www.twisted-halo.com/digicam/xj/Bumper%20mount.pdf

Original factory brackets are item #9 and the bolts attach to the angle bracket on the front crossmember.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #12
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Or, just order these: http://www.jcroffroad.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=XJB

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 08:37 PM   #13
mpwal099
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious View Post
That's the best bet right there. Really beefy and lots of tie in points. The driver side uses the 3 stock bumper holes plus the steering box bolt holes. Passenger side uses the 3 stock hole plus 3 others you can tie into.
Unread 03-01-2008, 03:26 PM   #14
dandiv
1998 XJ Cherokee 

the first diagram you showed me is actually what i was planning on doing, aside from the angle bracket. whats funny is after i saw that picture i went down to the jeep to see what else i could do and i came up with exactly that, only i figured id use more bolts on the cross member.
as far as those brackets go what i might just do is weld a piece of steel onto my existing brackets (theyre 1/4 in plate) and drill the holes in the same locations.
man i cant tell you how much i appreciate your help. the torn mounts look difficult to fix and im real glad i didnt mess up my jeep. thanks.
Unread 03-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #15
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Check out UkraineTrain's custom mounts over on NAXJA (pic about half-way down the thread):

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...=935716&page=2

I just ordered a set of the extended ones. I am going to use them to mount my ARB bumper in a bit more secure fashion than the stock mounts (three bolts per side) provide.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.