T-case Mount Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > T-case Mount Replacement

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 04-29-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
jmaxey27

T-case Mount Replacement

Hello everyone,

I've got a bad T-case mount (rattling on take-off) so do I need to just replace it or tighten it?

I'd love to just drop the whole thing and find out myself but I figured I'd poke around on here for a relatively decent answer.

I've dropped the tranny twice so I can do it but if it's a pain in the *** I want to know ahead of time to schedule out some time to do it. My only transportation at the moment.

OR, if it's too much "fun" I will just take it to a shop for a little when I buy my motorcycle here soon.

Any suggestions?

jmaxey27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Trans mount or an exhaust pipe hitting somewhere ? There is no tighten for the trans mount, if it is failed, you replace it.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
jmaxey27

Yeah, the pipe hangs just fine and the only time it DOESN'T rattle is when I've got in 4WD. So I'm fairly certain it's the mount. Unless there are some moving parts in the driveshaft that would need to be replaced?

It's just a really annoying noise that's driving me insane. Plus I don't want my T-case to end up on the ground some time soon
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaxey27 View Post
I don't want my T-case to end up on the ground some time soon
The t-case is securely bolted to the transmission...which is where the mount is. There is no t-case mount.

Thanks for the sig line
Unread 05-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #5
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Transmission mount is simple to replace, just put two jacks, or jackstands under it, one on the trans, and the other on the tcase. Unbolt the Four nuts in the middle, then unbolt the four on the sides, two bolts, and two nuts with studs. Be very carefull with these cause they break easy. I would spray kroll on there ( its the best imo) you might want to heat them with a torch too. I just did this and broke one. Everything was fine until the last dang stud snapped, and now i'm going to have to either drill and tap, or take the carpet out and try and get it from inside the jeep. Not to discourage you but just soak it with kroll multiple times before you attempt this. After the transmission mount is out, the rubber part, that i'm assuming what is broke on yours is right there. On mine the rubber part was fine, but the metal trans xmember was cracked, but its the same steps to replace either. Hope u have better luck than me.
Oh and i didnt use kroll, was out, and used liquid wrench instead thats why it broke imo.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:39 AM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

This^^. And do yourself a favor and look at your engine mounts, too.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
jmaxey27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post

Thanks for the sig line
Hahahaha no problem man. I guess the threads I've been crawling must have been talking about the tranny mount. The sad thing is I had the thing down last summer due to a bad freeze plug in the back of the block. Should have just changed it then... bummer. I guess there's a weekend project! I just rebuilt the engine also but the engine mounts looked pretty decent! Granted that was only my eyeball opinion, so I might just go about changing them as well.

I'm a blaster guy though. Blaster, a propane torch, a big*** sledge, and the handle of a floor jack for some leverage on a wrench handle and you've got all you need to work on a Jeep lol. They're simple really...

Thanks for the input guys.
Unread 05-05-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
91AzXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check your motor mounts also. Usually the motor mounts go and they take out the transmission mount.
91AzXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.