JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   T/C selection issues .... (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/t-c-selection-issues-1691561/)

ChiefRocka 10-16-2013 05:16 PM

T/C selection issues ....
 
Lately my T/C has been having "disconnecting" issues.

I live in a rural area, gravel driveway, and pull onto a 55 mph road.

I always use 4HI to pull out to get traction in order to pull into the road.

Once on my way, I shift into 2HI. I call tell the T/C is still in 4 because of the sound and feel ... after about a mile or so, you feel/hear a slight thud and its free.

The lever shifts smooth, and detents feel good.

Although, one day I was using 4LO to move a heavy truck into the shop, and again It was stuck in 4, and could barely drive it in circles in the parking lot (both axles are open ??) This time , I could not budge the lever....

This is the second T/C.

The first one ran dry, and the chain ground a hole in the case.

The Jeep has 192K miles on it and runs like a scalded dog ... excellent running engine and tranny.

Now that 'I' own it, I am always checking the fluid level.

Running Dextron in it now.

Thoughts ???

cruiser54 10-16-2013 08:28 PM

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

ChiefRocka 10-16-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 16902873)
Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I let off the gas, throw the lever, and then tap the gas and let off.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".


I know all of this. This is a given for pretty much all manually shifted T/C's

My issue is once the lever is moved back to 2hi, some thing in the T/C is causing it to remain in 4hi

cruiser54 10-16-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefRocka (Post 16904873)
I know all of this. This is a given for pretty much all manually shifted T/C's

My issue is once the lever is moved back to 2hi, some thing in the T/C is causing it to remain in 4hi

Got all same size tires and inflated to the same PSI?

Have you tried the tapping and letting off of the gas pedal while driving in a straight line after selecting 2WD?

RLE 10-17-2013 02:42 AM

You might try adjusting the slider on the TC linkage so it gets all the way back
into 2H and not just on the edge.

Sometimes you can put it in reverse and that knocks it back into 2Hi but
if you're pulling out onto a highway that is not an option.

ChiefRocka 10-17-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruiser54 (Post 16904993)
Got all same size tires and inflated to the same PSI?

Have you tried the tapping and letting off of the gas pedal while driving in a straight line after selecting 2WD?


Yes all four bald tires are the same size, brand and psi is correct .....:laugh:

Yes I have tried accelerating and decelerating.

I will check the linkage as soon as I can get the customers car off the lift.

biffgnar 10-17-2013 08:40 AM

22 Attachment(s)
Not uncommon for it too take a few seconds from moving the lever for the actual shift to happen, but a mile or so shouldn't happen. Definitely check the linkage.

cruiser54 10-17-2013 03:02 PM

Transfer Case Linkage Adjustment

Straight from the FSM:

SHIFT LINKAGE ADJUSTMENT
(1) Shift transfer case into 4L position. (make sure your shifter is fully in the 4L position)
(2) Raise vehicle.
(3) Loosen lock bolt on adjusting trunnion (Fig.
87).
(4) Be sure linkage rod slides freely in trunnion.
Clean rod and apply spray lube if necessary.
(5) Verify that transfer case range lever is fully
engaged in 4L position. (you can do this under the vehicle at the transfer case)
(6) Tighten adjusting trunnion lock bolt.
(7) Lower vehicle

ChiefRocka 10-17-2013 03:47 PM

I don't care what people say about this forum .....

I knew you guys were alright !!!

cruiser54 10-17-2013 03:48 PM

Did you get it adjusted?


The time now is 06:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.