symptoms of bad fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > symptoms of bad fuel pump

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDRear Disc Brake Conversion Kit- TJ,YJ,XJSWAG 50 Cal Ammo Can Mount With M2A1 Can

Unread 07-07-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
ar275103
1993 XJ Cherokee 

symptoms of bad fuel pump

I have a 93 cherokee and think my fuel pump may be going bad. Will they start to go out before they actually quit working? What symptoms are experienced when a fuel pump is going out or is bad? Besides the fuel pump is there anything else that may cause a cherokee to loose power and stall?

ar275103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 01:40 AM   #2
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

fuel filter, bad sensors(cps, o2, etc) fuels pumps from my experiance tend to shut off your car then work fine later then die again. check it have pressure at the rail if it dies.
Unread 07-08-2007, 01:45 AM   #3
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check your catalytic convertor.
Unread 07-08-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
severous01

you got no power, hesitation? check air filter, fuel pressure, fuel filter, timing, pull ox sensor and see if that helps (if so you need exhaust), throttle position sensor, throttle for goop and gunk, IAT sensor for open/closing.

fuel pumps usually dont slow down, they just stop....and most likely when you need it the most, like on the way to that new job interview or when you need to get the wife to the hospital because she's in labor....something like that.

i need more than just what you've explained. i need rpm, load % (assuming you're not talking WOT), maintenance recently done, what gas you buy (e85 or regular, addatives used...that kind of stuff.)
Unread 07-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #5
jimmmy

The fuel pump in my '88 started making a whining noise before it gave out.
jimmmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
GearGuy10
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmmy
The fuel pump in my '88 started making a whining noise before it gave out.
X2 on the whining noise. After installing 3 fuel pumps in the last 11 months, I am now very attuned to the noise it makes when it energizes when turning the key. It should be a short low hum. Mine started an irregular higher pitched buzz before it just went.

HERS: 2009 Liberty Sport Light Graystone Pearl
100% Stock
GearGuy10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearGuy10
X2 on the whining noise. After installing 3 fuel pumps in the last 11 months, I am now very attuned to the noise it makes when it energizes when turning the key. It should be a short low hum. Mine started an irregular higher pitched buzz before it just went.

Mine buzzed so I put a new one in. Still buzzes. Whateva.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.