SYE Tool ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > SYE Tool ?

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 09-21-2005, 07:46 PM   #1
BigwillXJ

SYE Tool ?

hey guys,

Im putting my SYE in tomorrow and wanted to know where I can get lock ring and snap ring pliers and what is the difference. Also the gear puller? I have a harbor frieght down the road as well as all the big name tool places( lowes/homedepot) any help will be appreciated.

will

NC State
BigwillXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2005, 08:28 PM   #2
91xjfireman

Lock ring and snap ring pliers are one of "those" tools. Something when you need it you have to have but a pain to spend 10 bucks or so. If you haven't used em so far in life buy the cheap ones they'll get the job done. Harbor Freight should have them along with any autoparts store. The rings in the transfer case do not have guide holes in them. The rings are a c-clip lookin thing that are expandable. Buy a bigger set too because i rebuilt my transfer case with a small set and it took too much patience for me.

07 door door JK X. ordered with dana 44, 4:10, and a tru-trak. Hardtop of course. Auto though :(
91xjfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2005, 11:04 PM   #3
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

I bought the biggest lock ring pliers I could. I still had to cut them apart so they'd expand more. At that point I'd tried all the other ones I could find. The one ring is a bish without the right pliers.
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

the only pair i could find that were big enough were at sears. all the other tool stores had the smaller ones. you really need the biggest mf'ers you can find
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
cj7xjmj

You definately need a good quality pair. I own a Snap on pair.... Yes I apid out the A$$ for them, but they are a tool that it is best to spend the money on. Buy quality... buy once... buy junk... and you get junk.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
BigwillXJ

I found snap ring pliers but no lock rings. what is the difference?

NC State
BigwillXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #7
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

Mmmmm...

I *think* that snap rings have loops on them for the pliers, thus the pliers have rounded ends. Lock rings are just cut off square, thus the pliers have square/straight ends. You want the square/straight type.

Now, somebody correct me, because that was part of what made doing my SYE less fun than it should have been. My own stupidity also helped. That is a different story though.
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2005, 05:14 AM   #8
Thayer

I just did my AA SYE install and wanted to share my experience. That giant snap ring really killed me, especially since I only had normal lock ring pliers. I tried for about 2 hours too get the original off and finally got it. Then I tried for another 2 hours to get the new one on, but it was impossible. The Lisle 44900 tool only opens about 0.9", so I went down to Napa and got theirs that opens about 1". I still couldn't get it and had to cut the tool to get it to open more. I cut both bump stops up top and 1 handle tip, so it opens about 1.25". You can't really do this to the Lisle one since the long straight part of the handle is their bump stop.

The Napa one on the left and Lisle on the right.

If I knew better, I would have gotten some good pliers like everybody is saying, maybe one by SK, the middle tool in the picture. That mofo is only like $30 online and opens like 2 inches with a neat 4 bar design.

[SIZE=1]1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
[/SIZE]
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.