SYE Speedo question - not what you think - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > SYE Speedo question - not what you think

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHut

Unread 05-04-2013, 03:19 AM   #1
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

SYE Speedo question - not what you think

First things first - I've done a lot of searching (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Ajeepforu...ye+speedo+gear) and found a gazillion threads saying "Clock your speedo sensor in the right position," and that seems to work for them. Here's my issue though:

I installed a Rugged Ridge SYE. As you can see in the pictures, the speedo sensor was installed in the 32-38 position for my green 34 tooth gear. Should be perfect, and in fact it was for about 1000 miles. The problem: speedo and odo stopped, CIL on. I looked into it, and both the speedo sensor gear and output shaft gear are chewed up (see remaining picture of sensor gear).

Has anyone seen this that had more of an issue than just a misclocked sensor housing? I ordered a new blue gear for the RR SYE rear output shaft here:

http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-J..._pn=CRO4338996

I'm hesitant though because I don't want to chew another $10 output shaft gear and $40 speedo gear, not to mention having to tear into the case to fix it. So has anyone seen this or know why I would chew up a gear even with it (supposedly) clocked right? The closest answer I can find is post #27 here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...30/index2.html

But I don't get how he was able to "clock it a bit beyond" with his 30 tooth gear; or how to know where that location should be.

Anyway, thanks in advance...

chewed-up-gear.jpg   clocking-position.jpg   tooth-number.jpg  
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Alcancia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

And of course when I say CIL, that's just a hybrid of CEL and MIL. My bad. Either way though, Check Engine Light or Malfunction Indicator Light, I hope the point got across
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #3
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm guessing you got some foreign material in the case when installing the SYE.
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:30 AM   #4
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Foreign material would seem very unlikely. The speedo gear sits at the top of the transfer case, it would probably be the last thing affected by foreign objects (chain, sprockets, or pump would see it first). Also, any debris would cause gear chipping rather than this smooth wear pattern that is uniform around the whole gear. It is possible I guess. Have you seen an issue like this caused by contamination before? I'll have to open the case to fix it, so I guess I'll get a nice good look.
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
Kevin108
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Chain and sprockets are metal and would be a lot more tolerant of foreign material. It's not hard to deform a small plastic gear.
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #6
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

I think that "rugged ridge" says a lot here. For plastic to last long in this application it has to be pretty tough. I'm guessing that these plastic materials were just not up to this application. I have no experience with rugged ridge speedo gears but I have a lot of bad experience with a large variety of other rugged ridge Jeep parts. I don't buy that brand any more. I'm pretty sure that is is the same company as Omix Ada.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Agreed. I would have held out for a JB Conversion SYE, but I had to have it installed only a few days before Jeep Safari. The Rugged Ridge was the only thing I could find in stock locally. Regardless, I believe that the blue gear inside the transfer case is a stock part from a 241 transfer case and the speed sensor didn't change other than being bolted into a different housing. I guess it would be possible that RR cheaped out on the plastic compared to an OEM part.
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Unread 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

If the holder was indexed correctly that is the only guess I have. And it appears that you understand how the holder works.
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #9
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Stock speedo gears are all plastic, iirc. Looks like your alignment may have been off.
Unread 05-09-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
Stock speedo gears are all plastic, iirc. Looks like your alignment may have been off.
All plastic does not have identical properties believe it or not.
Unread 05-11-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I finally got the drive gear in the mail and switched it out today. Here's a picture of the effect on the drive gear. I was surprised to see how close to the front edge of the gear (front as in towards the front of the vehicle) that the wear occurred. I don't know if that has anything to do with why it failed or not.

Regardless, the new drive gear had one side with a wider lip and I put that side toward the rear of the vehicle. I found a new speedometer sensor with the same 34 tooth gear for $5 at the local junkyard. When installing, I removed the o-ring on the speedo sensor and rotated it in the transfer case housing until I felt the interference with the drive gear. It felt good right back at the 32-38 spot, same as it was before. We'll see if the issue resurfaces. Thanks for everyones input...
img_3570-2.jpg  
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Unread 10-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
accelr8
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Did the issue ever resurface? I'm running into the same problem in that I can't find a position that feels good for the speedo gear. The correct index for my gear (41 tooth) doesn't mesh well with the SYE gear and causes it to chew. I'm going to play around with the other positions, but something about using the 32-38 tooth position for a 41 tooth gear doesn't sit right with me. I guess I can also use an intermediate position but then the fork that holds the speedo sensor in will not align with the slots. Has anyone else had to do this with a SYE to get the speedo to work and mesh correctly?
accelr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Alcancia
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't had any issues since the repair, and that's been a couple of thousand miles now. I just think the Rugged Ridge supplied drive gear (the blue one) had some plastic formulation issues.

The thing that really helped me determine the correct speedo placement was to remove the o-ring on the sensor housing. Spin it around until the sensor won't sit flat against the TC. As for using the 32-38 position for a 41 tooth gear, the tail housing of your SYE could be significantly different geometry than the stock alignment. I wouldn't worry about that as long as the sensor fits okay. I agree with you though, not having the fork aligned in the slots would bug me. Luckily mine went right into the slots.
Utah Jeep Crew #162
Unread 10-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #14
accelr8
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah you're right, the alignment could be off with the new tail housing. I'll try the o-ring trick and see if I can get it to work. Thanks!
accelr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.