SYE kit and rear shims - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > SYE kit and rear shims

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:37 AM   #1
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

SYE kit and rear shims

Hi if I get a SYE kit after a 4.5 inch lift on 96 xj auto np 242 T-case do I need to have to get the rear axle shims?

96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
whiteys_red_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Shims work in conjunction with a TC drop in manipulating the rear drive shaft by rotating the pinion angle. An SYE properly manipulates it(proper driveshaft angle) on its own. One last thing...your cherokee is not an FSJ. That designation is reserved for the older, larger waggoneer. If this is wrong, please chime in with a correction.
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupitaboy View Post
An SYE properly manipulates it on its own.
No it doesn't. The SYE comes out of the transfer case at the same angle as the slip yoke. The rear pinion angle needs to be changed so the pinion points at the slip yoke output shaft, as opposed to being parallel with the slip yoke output shaft.

In order to get the pinion yoke, of a leaf sprung rear end, to point at the out put shaft you'll need shims or the better method would be to remove the spring perches and have them welded back on at the correct angle.

Of course once you get a SYE you'll need a CV driveshaft.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:55 AM   #4
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

But would those shims be needed on a 4.5 inch lift? Larger for sure, but...
Unread 02-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

My YJ has a 4" lift, and I use 8 degree shims. The pinion has to be rotated up to point at the output shaft, no matter what, when using a SYE / CV combo, so it's either shims, or cut off perches and re-weld.

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs

Unread 02-14-2010, 08:59 AM   #6
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Lupta thanks I new I have the reg. XJ I just clicked the wrong one when seting up my account just never caught that. And so I DONT need the shims is that what you guys are saying?
96 xj 3.5 rustys lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG MT, t case skid plate, front tow hooks, open front and rear diff, NP-242 T-Case 1 in drop, AW4 transmission, dana 30HP, chyrsler 8.25 stock gears, K&N drop in air filter, flowmaster 40 series, poweraid throtle body spacer
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteys_red_XJ View Post
And so I DONT need the shims is that what you guys are saying?
That's not what I'm saying.

Unread 02-14-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Here's what a SYE / CV driveline needs to look like:

Notice how the pinion angle is rotated up?

Unread 02-14-2010, 09:06 AM   #9
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so I do need the shimes and do the shines go under the rear leafs?
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #10
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteys_red_XJ View Post
Ok so I do need the shimes and do the shims go under the rear leafs?
Shims sit on top of the leaf pack, between the leafs and the perch. (spring under anyway)

Last edited by Jeffro06; 02-14-2010 at 09:36 AM.. Reason: remove un-needed photo.
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The shims go under the leafs on a cherokee. The YJ is spring under axle, the XJ is spring over axle. And with 4.5" lift 4* shims should get you in the right range.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #12
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I think I get it now but I don't think I will have them welded because I don't know how to weld so I'm prob just going to throw them in like reg. And so no matter what I will need the shimes and the SYE kit and what size degree shimes do I need on my xj after a 4.5 in lift?
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #13
whiteys_red_XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hey thanks again xjfever and and jeff really aprciated I just want to make sure I now about everything I need to for this size lift this is my first lift I will be ever doing on my first jeep thanks so much for your time guys
Unread 02-14-2010, 09:28 AM   #14
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
The shims go under the leafs on a cherokee. The YJ is spring under axle, the XJ is spring over axle. And with 4.5" lift 4* shims should get you in the right range.
It's been awhile since I had my XJ....I honestly couldn't remember if it was over or under....

I was originally told 4* shims would work for me too....but they didn't. They might work, but don't be surprised if they don't. Jeeps are funny that way.

Unread 02-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #15
markcrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffro95 View Post
It's been awhile since I had my XJ....I honestly couldn't remember if it was over or under....

I was originally told 4* shims would work for me too....but they didn't. They might work, but don't be surprised if they don't. Jeeps are funny that way.
Who all sells shims?
markcrain is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
96 xj , automatic np-242 t-case , rear axle shims , sye kit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.