SYE + front driveshaft at stock height? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > SYE + front driveshaft at stock height?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #1
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

SYE + front driveshaft at stock height?

Since my transfer case has recently died on me, I've decided that rebuild/replace time would be a good time to set myself up with my SYE that I'll be wanting come lift time. I won't be getting around to my new suspension for some time yet and was wondering if a JB Conversions SYE and XJ front shaft would be OK while I'm still riding at stock height. Would it be too long when fully compressed to work with stock suspension?

Please don't bother me with what to do with my xfer case or what SYE to buy. JB Conversions is already set in stone one way or the other. I just need to clarify if I can get away with it BEFORE my lift or if I'll have to wait to do it all at once.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've finally come across this old thread that seems to indicate that I would be OK, but some confirmation would be much appreciated. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/h...ck-xj-1132377/

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I do not KNOW, but I would just measure the length of the front shaft and compare it to the rear and have a shop adjust the front shaft as needed.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

See, but a 2-3" lift is in the future, so I'd rather not adjust a stock shaft for stock height because I'd then risk being too short for the future lift. The scenario I'm hoping for is that the front shaft will be just fine under stock height so that I can just slap it all in now instead of having to wait until I can also afford the lift (because that will be awhile with some body work being a much higher priority).

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Since the front driveshaft has a slip joint, wouldn't it be possible for it to appear to fit the rear of a stock height XJ but have no room left to compress as the rear suspension compresses? This is the situation I'm concerned about, and I'm not sure how to know if it will happen or not. That is why I'm seeking some info from more experienced Jeepers.

To word it differently to make sure people know what I'm asking... I know the front shaft is long enough because I've seen plenty of people say they use one on 4.5+" lifts, but I'm worried it will be too long (unable to shorten enough as the suspension compresses) for stock height. If no one knows for sure, how might I measure it in a way to know for certain? If I knew the minimum length of the front shaft, I could do the geometry to determine the minimum distance from xfer to diff, but I don't know how short the front shaft can get, and I'd rather not pull mine to compress it, measure, then put it back. I simply do not have the time even for something like that.

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I ran across the min/max lengths of the front shaft SOMEWHERE out there but I can't seem to find it NOW... Maybe your Google-fu is stronger than mine is today?
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:50 PM   #7
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've been Google-fuing a storm lately and will continue tonight. I only thought of tackling it from angle of looking-up the min/max length of the shaft today, so we'll see...

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I've found multiple listings of the front XJ shaft for a 4.0 auto being 30.6". I'm not certain that is its fully compressed length, but I think it is. I haven't been able to find-out how far they extend (2 or 3 inches maybe?). Another source says it ranges from 31-34.5". JB Conv's standard SYE is a hair shorter than others, so that may help me; hopefully it's not so much shorter that it becomes an issue once my XJ is 2-3" higher.

I'm starting to get the impression that I'm going to have no way of rebuilding my xfer case with a SYE before I lift and to trust that any driveshaft I get will work for both pre and post-lift heights be it a XJ front or a custom one. In order to truly know the new distance from SYE to diff, I'll have to have it installed at which point I'll be at a point of no return where I'll no longer be able to use my stock rear shaft. Grr, I wish I could afford to just do the suspension right away, too.

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-16-2013, 11:08 PM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
It's only eight bolts removing it.. go measure? Length is around 30", but I can't remember exactly the minimum compressed length either.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:22 AM   #10
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
[SNIP]
In order to truly know the new distance from SYE to diff, I'll have to have it installed at which point I'll be at a point of no return where I'll no longer be able to use my stock rear shaft. Grr, I wish I could afford to just do the suspension right away, too.
Keep in mind that once the SYE is installed, you can drive around in "front" wheel drive until the rear shaft is sorted out.
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:34 AM   #11
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
It's only eight bolts removing it.. go measure? Length is around 30", but I can't remember exactly the minimum compressed length either.
The issue is that I don't have the SYE physically available yet to account for its effect on the distance, and the XJ will probably be lifted by the end of next year which is a key part of my question: Can I use a front shaft under stock AND 2-3" lift heights? Regardless, whether you believe it or not, it is possible for someone to be busy working so much as to not have time to even wrench 8 bolts. I only have time to post on JF because I have some computer and smartphone access during my downtime at work.

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:40 AM   #12
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yeap, I understand the issue of not having the SYE installed yet. Can you find any info on the total length of the TC with SYE installed? If you can, it'd be fairly easy to measure the DS length needed.

Stock front shaft + SYE does work for 2-3" lift (and up to around 5"-6"). IIRC there's fairly good amount of intravel available on the slip joint on 3" lift so I'd assume stock height may work. Considering I've got 6" of uptravel at the rear of my ZJ and around an inch of intravel on the slip joint and it doesn't bottom out it's ok.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #13
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj
Yeap, I understand the issue of not having the SYE installed yet. Can you find any info on the total length of the TC with SYE installed? If you can, it'd be fairly easy to measure the DS length needed.

Stock front shaft + SYE does work for 2-3" lift (and up to around 5"-6"). IIRC there's fairly good amount of intravel available on the slip joint on 3" lift so I'd assume stock height may work. Considering I've got 6" of uptravel at the rear of my ZJ and around an inch of intravel on the slip joint and it doesn't bottom out it's ok.
Thanks, while you may not have had any definite answers for me, your thorough and understanding response does make me feel a bit more optimistic. JB makes a big deal about how their yoke is as short as possible and shorter than the competition's, but I haven't found how much shorter nor where that puts the overall length. I'm just going to have to pick up a shaft and hope it works. If it doesn't, I guess I'll just have to front wheel drive it while having the shaft adjusted.

I need a better job. I work so much that I have to use vacation days just to have time for housework and Jeep work, and I'm still not making much more than bill-paying $. The lagoons/ponds in Chicago's parks look great because of me, though . Well, not Marquette, but my partner and I are working on taming that beast. Our company just got that park this year, so bear with us.

New sig rules suck.
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #14
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

I know the feeling.. Working 6 or 7 day weeks two- three times a month and between 10-20 overtime hours a week myself (and 5-day weeks in between).. it does provide me a fairly good salary though, but I would take the free time and less money if I realistically could at my current life situation. Maybe within a couple years.

***Under construction***
Unread 11-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #15
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Do we have a conclusion on this tread?
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.