SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > SYE

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-30-2002, 06:26 PM   #1
BLK2000XJ

SYE

I need some input on sye's. Do you use the existing driveshaft? What brand and how hard is installation? I'm getting vibes so I want to do it soon. Thanx

BLK2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2002, 08:18 PM   #2
TJs96XJ

I found one place here that i like is tom woods drive shafts and sye's. here's the link <a href="http://www.4xshaft.com/" target="_blank">http://www.4xshaft.com/</a>
"96" Cherokee Country 3.5 RE Lift IT REALLY IS A JEEP THING!!!!!!! $3,100 wish list down from $4,600 God made earth in 6 days and went WHEELINNG on the 7th
TJs96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:12 PM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are several kits (like Tom Woods) that require splitting the transfer case and replacing the stock output shaft with a shorter one. Another option is the cut and tap (aka "hack n tap") kit from RE which I have installed. It is significantly cheeper than the others especially for newer XJs like our 2000s at only about $90. This kit requires you to cut the existing output shaft, drill a hole (bit supplied), and tap threads into it (tap supplied). Then you bolt on the new flange and you will need a CV driveshaft. I chose this kit because I wasn't comfortable with splitting the transfer case and the cost savings were nice. The installation was pretty easy and I have no driveline vibes to speak of. As far as strength is concerned, other kits may possibly be stronger but I have never heard anyone with a firsthand experience of the RE kit failing. There is a good installation write up which I followed at ILOVEJEEPS.com. You can email me or reply here if you have any specific questions about this kit.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2002, 10:21 PM   #4
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

DO IT RIGHT! JB Conversions HD SYE $235 and Tom Woods driveshaft.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2002, 10:25 PM   #5
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by EricsXJ:
<strong>There are several kits (like Tom Woods) that require splitting the transfer case and replacing the stock output shaft with a shorter one. Another option is the cut and tap (aka "hack n tap") kit from RE which I have installed. It is significantly cheeper than the others especially for newer XJs like our 2000s at only about $90. This kit requires you to cut the existing output shaft, drill a hole (bit supplied), and tap threads into it (tap supplied). Then you bolt on the new flange and you will need a CV driveshaft. I chose this kit because I wasn't comfortable with splitting the transfer case and the cost savings were nice. The installation was pretty easy and I have no driveline vibes to speak of. As far as strength is concerned, other kits may possibly be stronger but I have never heard anyone with a firsthand experience of the RE kit failing. There is a good installation write up which I followed at ILOVEJEEPS.com. You can email me or reply here if you have any specific questions about this kit.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can probably find someone to help you with the SYE. I have a few friends who are going to help me do it. Thats the great thing about Jeeps, other Jeepers are always willing to help.

I wouldn't trust the el cheapo RE "kit". Take your time and do it the right way. Remember it may cost more now, but it will save you alot of $$$ later on.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2002, 06:27 PM   #6
BLK2000XJ

Thank you for the input guys, it will definitly help. I don't know which way I'm going to go, but now I know what areas to research.
BLK2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2002, 06:57 PM   #7
CB89XJ

You will be fine w/ the "hack and tap" kit as long as you do it right. A guy in my club has this kit on his TJ w/ 38's and wheels it HARD w/ no problems.

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.