SYE - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > SYE

JK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-30-2002, 05:26 PM   #1
BLK2000XJ

SYE

I need some input on sye's. Do you use the existing driveshaft? What brand and how hard is installation? I'm getting vibes so I want to do it soon. Thanx

BLK2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 07:18 PM   #2
TJs96XJ

I found one place here that i like is tom woods drive shafts and sye's. here's the link <a href="http://www.4xshaft.com/" target="_blank">http://www.4xshaft.com/</a>
"96" Cherokee Country 3.5 RE Lift IT REALLY IS A JEEP THING!!!!!!! $3,100 wish list down from $4,600 God made earth in 6 days and went WHEELINNG on the 7th
TJs96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 08:12 PM   #3
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

There are several kits (like Tom Woods) that require splitting the transfer case and replacing the stock output shaft with a shorter one. Another option is the cut and tap (aka "hack n tap") kit from RE which I have installed. It is significantly cheeper than the others especially for newer XJs like our 2000s at only about $90. This kit requires you to cut the existing output shaft, drill a hole (bit supplied), and tap threads into it (tap supplied). Then you bolt on the new flange and you will need a CV driveshaft. I chose this kit because I wasn't comfortable with splitting the transfer case and the cost savings were nice. The installation was pretty easy and I have no driveline vibes to speak of. As far as strength is concerned, other kits may possibly be stronger but I have never heard anyone with a firsthand experience of the RE kit failing. There is a good installation write up which I followed at ILOVEJEEPS.com. You can email me or reply here if you have any specific questions about this kit.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:21 PM   #4
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

DO IT RIGHT! JB Conversions HD SYE $235 and Tom Woods driveshaft.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by EricsXJ:
<strong>There are several kits (like Tom Woods) that require splitting the transfer case and replacing the stock output shaft with a shorter one. Another option is the cut and tap (aka "hack n tap") kit from RE which I have installed. It is significantly cheeper than the others especially for newer XJs like our 2000s at only about $90. This kit requires you to cut the existing output shaft, drill a hole (bit supplied), and tap threads into it (tap supplied). Then you bolt on the new flange and you will need a CV driveshaft. I chose this kit because I wasn't comfortable with splitting the transfer case and the cost savings were nice. The installation was pretty easy and I have no driveline vibes to speak of. As far as strength is concerned, other kits may possibly be stronger but I have never heard anyone with a firsthand experience of the RE kit failing. There is a good installation write up which I followed at ILOVEJEEPS.com. You can email me or reply here if you have any specific questions about this kit.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You can probably find someone to help you with the SYE. I have a few friends who are going to help me do it. Thats the great thing about Jeeps, other Jeepers are always willing to help.

I wouldn't trust the el cheapo RE "kit". Take your time and do it the right way. Remember it may cost more now, but it will save you alot of $$$ later on.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:27 PM   #6
BLK2000XJ

Thank you for the input guys, it will definitly help. I don't know which way I'm going to go, but now I know what areas to research.
BLK2000XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2002, 05:57 PM   #7
CB89XJ

You will be fine w/ the "hack and tap" kit as long as you do it right. A guy in my club has this kit on his TJ w/ 38's and wheels it HARD w/ no problems.

www.bmja.org
CB89XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.