Swing away tire carrier o factory bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Swing away tire carrier o factory bumper?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
XJ98beast
1994 ZJ 

Swing away tire carrier o factory bumper?

Is there a way i can do i was thing a basic A frame with a hinge on the out side bumper and have a pin that locks the swing away down. Any thoughts about this has any one ever tried. I just thought of it in class right now.

3rd Jeep (CLIFFORD): 94 ZJ, 5.2L, 4.5" Rustys, 33x12.50, Red. FUTURE MODS: Sun visor, stinger, some good lookin flares, 4:88 Gears
XJ98beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Might wanna reinforce that bumper some, it's not the most rigid thing in the world.

It could be done...prob one of the first

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ98beast View Post
Is there a way i can do i was thing a basic A frame with a hinge on the out side bumper and have a pin that locks the swing away down. Any thoughts about this has any one ever tried. I just thought of it in class right now.
Stock bumpers are pretty weak... and you are talking about a good amount of weight location in one stop (when swung out). PLus when you are wheeling... that weight is getting thrown up, down, left and right... I think it would rip right off.

Detour sells a tailbone... which beefs up the bumper yet leaves the factory appearance.
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.