Swing away tire carrier o factory bumper? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Swing away tire carrier o factory bumper?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 06-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
XJ98beast
1994 ZJ 

Swing away tire carrier o factory bumper?

Is there a way i can do i was thing a basic A frame with a hinge on the out side bumper and have a pin that locks the swing away down. Any thoughts about this has any one ever tried. I just thought of it in class right now.

3rd Jeep (CLIFFORD): 94 ZJ, 5.2L, 4.5" Rustys, 33x12.50, Red. FUTURE MODS: Sun visor, stinger, some good lookin flares, 4:88 Gears
XJ98beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Might wanna reinforce that bumper some, it's not the most rigid thing in the world.

It could be done...prob one of the first

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ98beast View Post
Is there a way i can do i was thing a basic A frame with a hinge on the out side bumper and have a pin that locks the swing away down. Any thoughts about this has any one ever tried. I just thought of it in class right now.
Stock bumpers are pretty weak... and you are talking about a good amount of weight location in one stop (when swung out). PLus when you are wheeling... that weight is getting thrown up, down, left and right... I think it would rip right off.

Detour sells a tailbone... which beefs up the bumper yet leaves the factory appearance.
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.