sway bars - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > sway bars

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #1
GTRJACK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

sway bars

do i discount them when im off roading? sorry to ask this. its because im going threw the rubber bushings like crazy..

GTRJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #2
cdawall
1994 XJ Cherokee 

mine are disco'd all the time. most people on here say thats the end of the world and recently got told that meant i didn't love my family. so don't suggest that however disco'ing them while offroad is the smart thing to do. more flex and no more early bushing wear.
Unread 07-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, it improves flex look into sway disconects.
Unread 07-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
GTRJACK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

so i should invest in quick disconnects?
GTRJACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:08 AM   #5
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Yes. Don't drive around with them disconnected on public roads, just off-highway.
cruiser54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Yes. Don't drive around with them disconnected on public roads, just off-highway.

Why not? I put probably 200 miles on my jeep both highway and off road with no serious problems.

I actually like the way it rides ...
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:30 AM   #7
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Because driving around is alot different than having to do an emergency manuver at speed, losing control or rolling over, and causing harm to yourself and others.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #8
cdawall
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Because driving around is alot different than having to do an emergency manuver at speed, losing control or rolling over, and causing harm to yourself and others.
prove that the same accident was caused by no sway bar and i will believe you. i have put 7000 miles on mine since disco and it handles better than it did stock with the sway bars. a properly set up coil can do the same thing all a sway bar does is effectively double the spring rate. so a stiffer spring would do the same exact thing. it is also nice not having ones were i am because of how ****ty the roads are and ride is improved without them.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:42 AM   #9
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
prove that the same accident was caused by no sway bar and i will believe you. i have put 7000 miles on mine since disco and it handles better than it did stock with the sway bars. a properly set up coil can do the same thing all a sway bar does is effectively double the spring rate. so a stiffer spring would do the same exact thing. it is also nice not having ones were i am because of how ****ty the roads are and ride is improved without them.
How about YOU prove it? Why don't YOU drive 65 MPH on the freeway and do an evasive manuver? You've been lucky. That's all. Enough said. I'm not beating this dead horse.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:44 AM   #10
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
it is also nice not having ones were i am because of how ****ty the roads are and ride is improved without them.

THIS x 10,000

I live in pothole heaven. TONS of pot holes. The fact that it's a solid axle vehicle and I'm running truck tires, made rides around the city almost unbearable with the pot holes.

With the swaybar disconnected, it's a MUCH better ride going through the potholes I can't avoid.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
cdawall
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
How about YOU prove it? Why don't YOU drive 65 MPH on the freeway and do an evasive manuver? You've been lucky. That's all. Enough said. I'm not beating this dead horse.
i have. stupid truck driver decided to answer his phone and run me off the road. jeep handled just fine. if you do not feel comfortable knowing how to handle an SUV with no sway bars cool. i am fine as is my wife don't drive like a ******* and it can maneuver just fine.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Here's an idea, grab a stock cherokee with 225/75/15 tires, and BOTH front and rear sway bars, get it sideways and let us know the result.

Next, get a cherokee with 2'' of lift, 31s and no swaybars, and get it sideways. Either way, you're tipping over.

The cherokee is a unibody SUV with glass high up ... it's tipping over either way.

I look at it like this: I have a 11 year old suv with 105,000 miles on it, a lift and bigger tires. It has questionable brakes and tail lights that don't always work. I also have a Ford Focus that gets 40mpg ... Which is a better choice for the highway? If I'm on a wheeling trip and cara-jeeping somewhere, the 4 cyl wranglers on 34s can't go much above 45 anyway.
Unread 08-01-2011, 06:58 AM   #13
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Now I am calling bull**** on this, I drove a stock XJ with addco swaybars front and rear for 4 years and then went to a lifted xj. The lifted one is way more unstable driving around without the front swaybar connected and I personally don't like driving it on the interstate with it disconnected.
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:02 AM   #14
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
Now I am calling bull**** on this, I drove a stock XJ with addco swaybars front and rear for 4 years and then went to a lifted xj. The lifted one is way more unstable driving around without the front swaybar connected and I personally don't like driving it on the interstate with it disconnected.
I've noticed a bit more body roll in corners (IE the ones that say to go 45 around on the interstate and I keep going 65) but never have I felt unsafe without the swaybar.

The worst thing that happened with the disconnected sway bars is my 31s ripped off my front fender flares.
Unread 08-01-2011, 07:25 AM   #15
cdawall
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexrule123 View Post
How so. How do you know my coils/leafs are not stiffer leading to less bodyroll.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.