Sway Bar Growling? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Sway Bar Growling?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 11-05-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
andynowlen

Sway Bar Growling?

UPDATED: not the sway bar or brakes. See my last post in this thread.

1998 cherokee daily driver. All brakes are new and professionally inspected. Stock front axle. Front sway bar bushings replaced 8 months ago. Links and bushings also.

Under braking I have a loud growling howling rumble from the front end. : The growl/rumble is not particularly affected by engaging 4wd.

Further: It is noticeably louder when the weather gets cold - less than 35 degrees. The growl also seems to carry a rotating / spinning aspect to it and seems to be related to ground speed. The rotational aspect gets slower as the vehicle comes to a stop. Under full braking the growl/rumble is louder. If the brakes are feathered the growl/rumble decreases.

I sure would like to get rid of the noise, but also hope nothing else is wrong.

Any troubleshooting ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

Update - Ruled out Sway bar issue. See my post near the bottom of this thread.

Last edited by andynowlen; 11-16-2013 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Updated Information
andynowlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #2
Craig00XJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Did you purchase the correct size bushings? IIRC, there are three different sizes available
Craig00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What kind of bushings were installed? Rubber or the polly kind.. I got the polly ones when i replaced bushings, they came with lube. The lube didn't last long and the bushings made noise on bumps.I no longer have a sway bar..

Also it's very easy to remove the sway bar. Take it off and see if noise is gone. The jeep will handle very differently, so don't do anything crazy
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andynowlen View Post
The growl/rumble is not particularly affected by engaging 4wd.

The growl also seems to carry a rotating / spinning aspect to it and seems to be related to ground speed. The rotational aspect gets slower as the vehicle comes to a stop. Under full braking the growl/rumble is louder. If the brakes are feathered the growl/rumble decreases.

I sure would like to get rid of the noise, but also hope nothing else is wrong.

Any troubleshooting ideas welcome.

Thanks,

Andy
How can a sway bar...that does NOT rotate...make rotational noises. I understand that it COULD make a sound like "a naked fat lady in a leather chair" but that's about it. Since the sway bar does not turn round n' round??? I'm confused at this diagnoses by the reputable mechanics.

I agree with cory4um...take the sway bar off...go for a ride around the block. If the noise is gone, grease the fat lady.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Another +1 for that. Even easier disconnect the sway bar links and tie them out of the way for the test.

If your sway bar is rattling around I don't see why it would only be noisy under braking, unless your brakes are royally screwed... which would mean your problem is the brakes...
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
andynowlen

Thanks. I will do a test drive without the sway bar tonight.
Unread 11-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
CmpleteCherokee
1984 XJ Cherokee 

a sway bar bushing could make noise, but most likely it would be under turning, and would be due to either worn bushings, or poly bushings that were not properly greased during install. But on braking in a straight line, I would lean towards it being something else.
Unread 11-14-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
andynowlen

After too many delays I finally took the sway bar off the vehicle. And as many anticipated, the noise I am chasing is NOT caused by the sway bar. A thorough brake inspection shows that the pads, calipers, and rotors are in excellent condition. The brakes themselves are not causing my problem.

The growling noise I am trying to describe continues. Although it is slightly different with no sway bar.

So, what are my next steps? I also recently (less than 5000 miles) replaced the axle hub and ujoints. The problem noise was not solved by these repairs.

I opened The front differential cover. The oil was clean and had no metal in it or in the case itself. All the gears and bearings within appeared to be in good condition.

What do you all think about springs and/or shocks contributing to the bad sounds? Beyond that what about suspension or other bushings?

How can I tell,beyond visual inspection, if I have bad bushings that might allow some sort of movement that may help to make the bad noise? Thanks for whatever troubleshooting help you might give me.
Unread 11-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
holysirsalad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Has the rear been examined at all?
holysirsalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 11:11 PM   #10
AKJEEP87
1991 XJ Cherokee 

it could be a multitude of things, in my experience with my cherokee, I had a growling noise up front and it was from a lack of good lube in the front end and I spent a whole day just taking everything apart and lubing it and it went away, but like I said it could be many things
AKJEEP87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #11
andynowlen

Well, after removing the sway bar and following other troubleshooting ideas, the bad news is that I have found fine metal debris on the front differential lube plug. Fortunately (I guess) it has a magnet built in. I have not opened the case yet, as I have to prepare for what might be found. When I reach into the fluid with my finger the fluid is clean, not burnt smelling, and is barely darker than new.

What item is most likely to blame? And, would a failure of this sort cause the deep growling grumbling not quite grinding sound under braking, especially hard braking?

I am headed to some other threads regarding the Dana 30 front axle components and failures.

Thanks, Andy

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.