Swapping out for new thermostat today...do I need to drill a bleed hole? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Swapping out for new thermostat today...do I need to drill a bleed hole?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Scotthartmann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Swapping out for new thermostat today...do I need to drill a bleed hole?

Howdy,

I'm changing out my gunked up thermostat for a new Stant Superstat Super Premium Thermostat, 195 Degrees. I've seen a thing or two about possibly having to drill a bleed or "weep" hole in the thing but I'm not sure where or why. Is this just for filling? Is this the only way to rid the system of an air pocket? Are there any thermostats that work better or are recommended?

What about the failsafe t-stats? Would they benefit in mitigating an air pocket?

What about thermostats with a jiggle valve from a dealer?

What's the best option for my '98 XJ 4.0 L6???
Temp, manufacturer, part #, etc?

Hartmann

Scotthartmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Barcus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you can't find one with the hole already in the t-stat, you can drill one and be just fine IMO.

Also just get the regular 210 one. Your engine will not operate at 195, the t-stat will simply open at 195.
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Scotthartmann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcus View Post
If you can't find one with the hole already in the t-stat, you can drill one and be just fine IMO.

Also just get the regular 210 one. Your engine will not operate at 195, the t-stat will simply open at 195.
Yes, apparently Xjs are designed to run around 210, but I can't find a "210 degree" thermostat anywhere, particularly for a '98 XJ. Any leads would be helpful if this device exists and is in fact what I should use.
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
cubsin2079
2000 XJ Cherokee 

195 is the standard for an XJ. The Stant should have a little v-notch at the top. This is the bleed hole.
Uniden 520proxl, Hella 500s, rock lights.
cubsin2079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotthartmann
Howdy,

I'm changing out my gunked up thermostat for a new Stant Superstat Super Premium Thermostat, 195 Degrees. I've seen a thing or two about possibly having to drill a bleed or "weep" hole in the thing but I'm not sure where or why. Is this just for filling? Is this the only way to rid the system of an air pocket? Are there any thermostats that work better or are recommended?

What about the failsafe t-stats? Would they benefit in mitigating an air pocket?

Hartmann
Just go to your nearest jeep dealership and ask what they use. Go genuine OEM if at all possible. A tstat is the last thing you want going bad on the trails.

-Grimm
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Scotthartmann
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrimm View Post
Just go to your nearest jeep dealership and ask what they use. Go genuine OEM if at all possible. A tstat is the last thing you want going bad on the trails.

-Grimm

What do you have to say about the post above you; that the 195 Stant is the standard?
Unread 03-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #7
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

195 is stock / standard for an 4.0
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:26 PM   #8
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotthartmann View Post
Howdy,

Hartmann

The jiggle valve assists with dealing with air pockets.

The V-notch in the stant is supposed to be an equivalent to the jiggle valve afaik.

A fail-safe t'stat is designed to fail open when temps get too high ....
Given the overheating habits of XJs in various situations ... not a good choice of t'stat imho.

A genuine OEM t'stat from chrysler will normally be good quality ... but Ive found them to cause higher running temps than aftermarket ones ....

You have a choice with genuine chrysler thermostats .... a 195* ... or a 180* ....

195* usually works out suitable for most applications.

Personally I'd shop around for a premium quality version, 190* MotoRad, jiggle valve, non fail-safe t'stat, ... or even a 192*.

The XJ is not really "designed' to run at 210* .... that just happens to be the temp that occurs because of the size of the cooling system and the fitting of a 195* t'stat.

210* t'stats are available for some modern vehicles .... but if you could get one for the XJ dinosaur ... then your running temp would be 220*+ ...
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carves View Post
The jiggle valve assists with dealing with air pockets.

The V-notch in the stant is supposed to be an equivalent to the jiggle valve.

A fail-safe t'stat is designed to fail open when temps get too high ....
Given the overheating habits of XJs in various situations ... not a good choice of t'stat imho.

A genuine OEM t'stat from chrysler will normally be good quality ... but Ive found them to cause higher running temps than aftermarket ones ....

You have a choice with genuine chrysler thermostats .... a 195* ... or a 180* ....

195* usually works out suitable for most applications.

Personally I'd shop around for a premium quality version, 190* MotoRad, jiggle valve, non fail-safe t'stat, ... or even a 192*.

The XJ is not really "designed' to run at 210* .... that just happens to be the temp that occurs because of the size of the cooling system and the fitting of a 195* t'stat.

210* t'stats are available for some modern vehicles .... but if you could get one for the XJ dinosaur ... then your running temp would be 220*+ ...
"The XJ is not really designed to run at 210".........oh no, now u've done it. Is it raining in your part of Oz?
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

180 .......... No Yes No Yes
195 .......... Yes No Yes No
210 .......... Yes No Yes No

As long as the dreaded open/close loop faerie tales, dont appear ... all will be good ..

Rain, yes lots ...
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I've had issues with 3 Super stats, including the 2 I drilled a bleed hole in. Finally got a factory stat 83501426 and it heats up nicely on cold mornings and maintains about 205 on the factory gauge.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #12
jgrimm
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotthartmann

What do you have to say about the post above you; that the 195 Stant is the standard?
It's been so long since I've changed mine, that i honestly don't remember.

I do know that I bought an OEM tstat from northpoint chrysler/jeep here in NC and it's been perfect. Runs right at 210.

And yes, the 4.0 in the XJ is designed to run at 210. If anyone tells you otherwise, take your left index finger, extend it firmly, put it against their lips, and go "shhhhhhh". Lol
1992 YJ, 4.0 HO, 5-Speed (AX-15), 2.5" lift, 31" tires, Sony sound system, w/ pioneer sound-bar, copper-red paint, Loved it. Miss it. Sold.|1999 XJ. The "Cheep". 4.5" RC lift. 33" BFG MT. Train Horns. 2wd to 4x4 build. DD. Sold.|2003 WJ. 30" Michelin AT's. Curt roof rack. Train Horns. Stock. Soon to be lifted. DD.
jgrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

I just ran out to the garage and opened up the box on a factory stat # 83501426. It is stamped 0195.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
And yes, the 4.0 in the XJ is designed to run at 210. If anyone tells you otherwise, take your left index finger, extend it firmly, put it against their lips, and go "shhhhhhh". Lol

Much better to take that left index finger and .................

use it .... to point at all the info in the XJs FSM and other technical manuals ... that explain away, various, past, misconceptions/conjecture ... about what the XJ is "supposed" to do ...

Unread 03-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #15
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
........And yes, the 4.0 in the XJ is designed to run at 210........
Would u enlighten us to your factual source?....(opinions in forums and factory dash gauges don't count)
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.