Swapping in a later model transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Swapping in a later model transfer case

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 09-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Physhstyx
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Swapping in a later model transfer case

Need help with a few questions on a transfer case swap.
I have a 1997 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0. My transfer case let go so I purchased one out of a wrecked 2000 model Jeep with only 22, 000 miles. I was told it was the same.

My issue is the model T case removed is a 242J and the model going in is a 231J. They are almost identical except the newer model 231J has different plugs on the 2 switches. other than that it looks like it will bolt right up.

My questions are what are these switches (function) and can I splice the wires from my harness?

I was just going to change them but on one it went from a 4 pin to a two pin and the case is different in that location.

Does anybody have a factory wiring diagram they can turn me onto? Have any of you done a swap like this?

I have attached some pics of the 2 cases and the plugs.

Larry

jeep-parts-002.jpg   jeep-parts-003.jpg   jeep-parts-005.jpg   jeep-parts-007.jpg   jeep-parts-008.jpg  

Physhstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The first one is the speedometer sensor and the second one is the switch for the dashboard 4x4 lamps. Simply swap over the existing switches from your 242 onto the 231, the speedo switch will interchange, and the other switch will probably interchange.

(edit: unnecessary info deleted)

5t6.jpg

5t7.jpg

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:31 PM   #3
Physhstyx
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

I think the Speedo switch will interchange but the depth of the light switch and the threads are different. I appreciate the input. I don't need full time light. so I can just terminate those wires.
Thanks
Unread 09-13-2013, 07:40 PM   #4
jakecarder
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
The first one is the speedometer sensor and the second one is the switch for the dashboard 4x4 lamps. Simply swap over the existing switches from your 231 onto the 242, the speedo switch will interchange, and the other will probably interchange.

The 242 has a Full-Time 4x4 position, but you will need a 242 shift gate to use the Full-Time position. To make the Full-Time lamp light up on the dashboard requires some adapting of the wire harness and use of the original 242 switch with 4 wires.
you read it wrong. hes going from a 242 to a 231. im wondering myself because i do often think about when i start building the jeep to swap in a 231. i do often use my full time when driving in heavy rain, snow, and deer chasing in my fields. just wondering what your unput would be on this
jakecarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2013, 08:03 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I did mis-read the original post, sorry. The 242 and the 231 do interchange. The speedo sensor plugs will interchange. If someone really wants to have operational dashboard lamps after a swap, all you need is the correct wire plug for the T-case installed. The wire diagrams in the Factory Service Manual will tell you what wire does what, or if you are skilled with a volts/ohms multi-meter, you can just figure it out.

When swapping from 242 to 231 the shift gate does not need to be changed, but a used 231 shift-gate and 231 bezel should be cheap at the junkyard.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
tsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I went from a 231 to a 242- so I went the other way- go to the wrecking yard and get the plug for the NP231 you'll just have snip the existing plug and wiring in the new one- you won't use the 3rd wire for the full time indicator. Later years used a pigtail to change the wiring to the transfer case so it was easier to change.
tsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #7
Physhstyx
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Thanks for all the input. It was very helpful.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.