Swapped Cylinder Head - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Swapped Cylinder Head

Rugged Ridge 07-14 JK Sherpa Roof Rack available @ Oconee Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-Road

Unread 11-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Swapped Cylinder Head

I had a thread way back when for how my coolant was mysteriously disappearing

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/4...oolant-878140/

I had a cylinder leak-down test performed which it was clear that the head was bad. Here is were it cracked

I pulled the head and set is aside. There was coolant in the #3 and 4 cylinders. I cleaned off everything and cleared the old gasket, which was intact and not blown. I checked the block for any visible weakness or cracks but could not see any. I am hoping for the best. Cylinder test failed at the head so we never made it down to the block.

I installed the new head over a new Fel-Pro head gasket. Making sure to torque the bolts to 110 and #11 at 100. Thanks to Kettle's and CJ7-Tim who helped me out with the 00 Torque sequence

Placing the exhaust and intake manifold was difficult because the reman-head did not have the dowels to line it up. I bolted it up loose so I could adjust it as needed.

I put in a new Thermostat housing and bolted the rest in.

I added some coolant and oil and fired it up. It ran rough for about 5 seconds before the computer adjusted the timing. It also smoke a bit because I got some grit/grim down into the intakes when connecting them to the head. That burnt off and it runs well.

I still have the low oil pressure on the gauge but no milkshake in the oil so that is good. I am watching it closely. I will change the oil in a couple days and hook up a manual oil pressure gauge to see if I need a new sending unit which is likely.

I'm not calling it finished yet because I don't want to jinx it. Thanks to everyone who helped me with this repair.

Check out my Classifieds
theducksguts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #2
justanotherjpr

I would change the oil right away. Who knows what kind of gunk got in there during your fix.

Edit: And congrats!
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
I would change the oil right away. Who knows what kind of gunk got in there during your fix.

Edit: And congrats!
I did, last night. I ran some oil system cleaner with the new oil. I will change it in a couple days just to be sure. I want that thing clean. I might also drop the pan.

Check out my Classifieds
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:54 PM   #4
justanotherjpr

How hard were the bolts on the bottom of the intake/exhaust manifold for you to get off?
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2009, 04:57 PM   #5
theducksguts
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
How hard were the bolts on the bottom of the intake/exhaust manifold for you to get off?
They actually weren't too bad. I sprayed them down with some PB blaster and they came right out. They should only be 20 or so ft lbs of torque.

I got them from the underside. Had to move the front drive shaft to get at them. If you have a head lamp or stationary light it helps a lot.

Check out my Classifieds

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.