4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 03-02-2017, 03:40 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
I hate to say anything that comes off as bashing a forum member but: the XJ shock mounts and unibody are NOT up to load leveling shocks. It's just not. Without reinforcement the metal fatigue will catch up and they'll eventually fail spectacularly.
That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. I don't feel bashed at all. You're just stating a valid point that I didn't think of.

I actually know better regarding leveling shocks, but I had forgotten. Thanks for the reminder. I edited my earlier post accordingly.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 03-02-2017, 03:49 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Crown or Dorman HD leaf springs. They lift a smidge when the back is empty, 1-1.5", but they match the factory towing leaf specs. Mine rode and sat very well with a lot of weight in the back or with my RV before I lifted. They ride stiff empty, but near factory with weight.

Great solution to broken down factory medium duty leaves if you're hauling a lot of stuff around and the end result will be better than using an AAL on broken down stock packs. That adds a lot of stress to the existing springs and gets stiff as hell to boot.
Is it Crown or Dorman that you have? IME Crown parts are good, but Dorman are better. Except for stock bumpstop replacements. I think Crown make the best stock replacement bumpstops (better than stock because Crown bumpstops are cushy rubber, gives softer landing if suspension bottoms on a bump). Crown rear door struts are also excellent. I've not tried Dorman rear door struts.

For various other parts I prefer Dorman. Specifically, I bought a new LCA of each brand below and compared quality of LCAs and bushings. Comparing new stock OME Jeep brand to new stock replacement (OER) brands for quality.

Best quality were Moog Problem Solver OER LCAs and bushings. They are better than stock. I think Moog Problem Solver OER suspension parts are better in general than stock and are a slight upgrade.

Stock Jeep OEM LCAs and bushings (new) are good.

Dorman OER LCAs and bushings are as good as stock.

Crown OER LCAs and bushings aren't quite as good. Thinner gauge metal in the arms and bushings eyes not round. Just not quite as well made LCAs or bushings.

So based on my comparison of new LCAs and bushings, I prefer Moog Problem Solver parts when they make the part I want. Otherwise I prefer Dorman.

Crown makes some good parts, and some OK parts, depending on which part it is. Dorman consistently makes good parts, IME. Every Dorman part I've seen was top notch. I base that on having bought and installed various parts of both brands, and having done the side-by-side comparison of LCAs and bushings.

Warning: I often edit my posts a few times to get them complete or correct errors.
post #18 of 24 Old 03-02-2017, 04:04 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
Is it Crown or Dorman that you have?

Mine are crown, but specs and reviews I've found don't give any particular advantage or difference to either. In fact given how few mass-producers there are for springs and the identical specs it's pretty likely both brands are actually the same product with different stickers anyway.

That's why I always say "crown or dorman" when I'm talking about the factory replacement leaves rather than specifying one or the other.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #19 of 24 Old 03-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Mine are crown, but specs and reviews I've found don't give any particular advantage or difference to either. In fact given how few mass-producers there are for springs and the identical specs it's pretty likely both brands are actually the same product with different stickers anyway.

That's why I always say "crown or dorman" when I'm talking about the factory replacement leaves rather than specifying one or the other.
You might want to reread my prior post since I added a bunch of info to it.

I compared Crown, Dorman, OEM, and Moog quality side-by-side in person with my own eyes.

See my prior post (that I added to).

post #20 of 24 Old 03-02-2017, 04:15 PM
bluejunior
Web Wheeler

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You might want to reread my prior post since I added a bunch of info to it.

I wanted to compare quality side by side in person with my own eyes.

So I bought one stock LCA and one stock replacement LCA of each brand and compared them for quality. See my prior post (that I added to).

Yeah I read all that. I just don't see how any of it relates to the springs. Repro brands like crown and Dorman sell products made by dozens or even hundreds of manufacturers based on the tooling and bids at each of those manufacturers. They will have some things the same, and some things different. My only claim is that these leaf springs could well be the same, and in any case I have no evidence that one spring is significantly better.

A lot of parts are like that. Omix-ada SYE's are sold under Rough Country and several other off-road specific brands as well as their own, for example. That doesn't mean Omix-Ada is necessarily making rough country's shocks, springs, skid plates, etc....

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 24 Old 03-02-2017, 08:57 PM
mattrowe
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quick question, does anybody have any comments as to whether Rancho, or Rough Country shocks are better for an all around DD. and week end warrior.
This on a 4.5 inch RC lift.
post #22 of 24 Old 03-11-2017, 04:47 PM
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

X3 on the HD springs. I have the factory tow package on mine along with Bilstein HD shocks. Stiff ride unloaded but nice with a load. The Bilsteins have been on for 80K miles. I have carried 800lbs. in cargo area and towed a 5000 lb. travel trailer. No sag what so ever.

'97 XJ Moss Green Metallic. 2DR. 2WD AW4 tow pkg.,3.73 gears. Firestone Destination A/T 225/75x15.
post #23 of 24 Old 03-11-2017, 07:10 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
My first XJ was a 96 XJ. I had tire store put some brand of add-a-leaf on it. I have no idea what brand. It rode "rattle your teeth out" harsh, even with a heavy aftermarket rear bumper and gas tank skidplate. It was horrible.

Do you know some trick for a good add-a-leaf that I don't know? Are your standards for ride quality very different than mine? I don't understand how our experiences with add-a-leaf could be so different.
I posted my experiences with AAL and bastard packs in this thread in 2008, and the entire thread is worth reading : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...vs-rls-640285/

I wonder what brand or type of add-a-leaf the tire store installed. Typically, short AAL are stiff and harsh, and long full length AAL are much less so. My Patriot Blue 2000 XJ came with the UpCountry off-road suspension package with +1 springs that are firmer than stock, and upgraded gas shocks. When the original leaf springs bent from using extended shackles, I built an AAL/Bastard Pack leaf spring pack with a Rubicon Express full length AAL and an extra stock XJ leaf all installed into a stock XJ leaf spring pack. The ride was only slightly firmer than the UpCountry springs. In 2015, that same AAL leaf spring pack and some Bilstein 4600 shocks were installed into my sagging 1999 XJ. I find the stock XJ suspension to be too mushy, and prefer a firmer/sporty suspension for my daily driver.

Ride stiffness is more dependent on your choice of shock absorbers and the brand name of lift parts you install, than on the actual type of lift parts, full length AAL vs. a brand new lift kit spring pack. The cheaper lift kit brands or generic lift parts have a tendency to be more stiff riding. All lifted vehicles will ride differently than stock and you should expect some compromises and/or changes in ride quality when driving a lifted Cherokee.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #24 of 24 Old 03-19-2017, 06:36 PM
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I posted my experiences with AAL and bastard packs in this thread in 2008, and the entire thread is worth reading : http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...vs-rls-640285/

I wonder what brand or type of add-a-leaf the tire store installed. Typically, short AAL are stiff and harsh, and long full length AAL are much less so. My Patriot Blue 2000 XJ came with the UpCountry off-road suspension package with +1 springs that are firmer than stock, and upgraded gas shocks. When the original leaf springs bent from using extended shackles, I built an AAL/Bastard Pack leaf spring pack with a Rubicon Express full length AAL and an extra stock XJ leaf all installed into a stock XJ leaf spring pack. The ride was only slightly firmer than the UpCountry springs. In 2015, that same AAL leaf spring pack and some Bilstein 4600 shocks were installed into my sagging 1999 XJ. I find the stock XJ suspension to be too mushy, and prefer a firmer/sporty suspension for my daily driver.

Ride stiffness is more dependent on your choice of shock absorbers and the brand name of lift parts you install, than on the actual type of lift parts, full length AAL vs. a brand new lift kit spring pack. The cheaper lift kit brands or generic lift parts have a tendency to be more stiff riding. All lifted vehicles will ride differently than stock and you should expect some compromises and/or changes in ride quality when driving a lifted Cherokee.
I don't know what add-a-leaf the tire store installed. It was to many years ago. Probably the cheapest thing possible. I wouldn't have known any better at the time.

Not all lifted Jeeps ride firmer than stock. My current XJ rides softer than stock and still corners well. I did that by installing OME TJ front springs, which are 140 lbs/in rate. The stock front springs are 147 lbs/in. So I went softer, not firmer, when I lifted. The key there is to use TJ springs and don't lift to high. My front is about 1.25" and my rear about 1.75" (after skidplates front and rear). My rear springs are OME XJ light load rear springs (no longer made). It was to mushy that way when I had regular Monroe shocks. However, Bilstein 5100 shocks fixed that. Now it handles good and rides reasonably soft. Softer than stock for sure, but handles as good as stock (if not better).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.