Suspension/Steering problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Suspension/Steering problem

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:42 AM   #1
zmasterflex

Suspension/Steering problem

Greetings all. 1996 XJ approx 90K miles. I always had a problem when the 4X4 was engaged that I couldn't turn the wheel all the way to one side without the car having a fit. Now when I turn my wheel all the way to one side even without the 4X4 engaged it makes noise the resists the turn. When the car is in park its not problematic but when I try to drive ie; U-turn, K-turn and pulling out of parking spots it starts to sound like something is wrong. My alignment is straight and when I had it on a lift for an oil change the mechanic said that everything looked fine. Any thoughts? (I don't think it's the gearbox because when the car is in park I can turn the wheel all the way in each direction....) thanks

zmasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
93gc40
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's either bad U-joints or improper use of the 4wd.. The only time you should use 4wd on pavement EVER is if you have a 242 Transfer case, with the shifter in the 4FT position. If you have a 231 case you should NEVER use 4wd unless you are on slipper road surface, ie dirt or snowy street.
93 ZJ 4.0 / 2"BB / Wranglers / RIP-Gone but not forgotten.

If it aint dirty, it aint a JEEP, it's just a SUV.
93gc40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 09:52 AM   #3
zmasterflex

thanks. How do I know which transfer case I have? 96 Cherokee sport 2 door
zmasterflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
ParkerXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmasterflex View Post
thanks. How do I know which transfer case I have? 96 Cherokee sport 2 door
If its 231 then the shifting into 4x4 is like this from the lever

2wd
4hi
N
4lo

If its not then youve got the 242 tcase

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.