Suspension Overhaul - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Suspension Overhaul

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 10-23-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
CarGuy86
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Suspension Overhaul

Hey everyone,

I picked up a 92 earlier this year just as my daily driver, and now after being on here and doing some looking around I've decided to have some fun with it. So my first thought was to lift it up about 2.5" - 3". I'm not too mechanically inclined, so I went down to a local suspension shop and they had a look at it. Told me I need to replace a bunch of stuff (I accidently deleted the voicemail last night), such as; front coils, front u-joints, rear leafs are things that stick out. His quote wasn't too bad. But its just to replace OE stuff. So I basically was hoping on getting some of your guys 'expertise' on this kinda stuff. Any info or ideas would be awesome!

thanks,
AJ

CarGuy86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 10:15 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

All the previous threads about lifting a Cherokee, the problems encountered, quick fixes, low budget ideas, recommended lift companies, and the lift parts required, are right here at your finger tips. Just page back in time and read the threads.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuy86 View Post
I'm not too mechanically inclined:
.....And now for a less wiseass answer, since if you are not familiar with terminology and auto part identification, it can become mind-boggling rather quickly.

First, I would pick up a Chilton's or Hayne's manual on your Cherokee. You can get them at auto zone for about 14 bucks. I know that the haynes manual has a full page detail photo of the suspension, identifying each part by name. Familiarize yourself with the suspension componenents, because suspension/brakes/steering is NOT a place you want to make a mistake.

CarGuy86, do you have the means to do any of this work yourself? Will you be ordering your own lift, or will you farm it out to your suspension shop?
Here is a basic list of lift setups for you to peruse once youv'e familiarized yourself with the suspension componentry.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/x...v2-0-a-983075/

If you plan on lifting it, do it WISELY. There is more to lifting your Cherokee than just throwing leaf and coil springs at it. BEFORE taking it to your suspension shop.......

I would order a COMPLETE lift SYSTEM from Jeepin'outfitters or Quadratech that includes:
-Leaf springs with bushings
-Coil springs
-Shock absorbers
......that are all matched to work together. In addition to this, I would order longer brake lines, (search it on this forum)an adjustable track bar and a transfer case drop (temp fix but works well to keep driveline vibes to a minimum after a lift) and then I would ask your suspension shop to inspect and replace any worn-out components (ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings, etc) repair and replace as needed, then install the lift for you........ Be sure to get it aligned afterwards!

This is NOT going to be cheap. But it WILL be worth it. Probably around 1000+ shipped for all of the lift parts, (if you buy a quality, complete kit) and another 500 dollars for shop labor at a minimum. If you are not really familiar with suspensions and lifts, i HIGHLY suggest you NOT try to piece one together in an effort to save $$$, as you will hate it. Buy a complete, matched kit so that you are not dealing with driveline vibes, rubbing tires, harsh rides, sloppy handling and assorted safety issues that comes with trying to piece a suspension repair and lift together on a budget. For a novice car guy, this can be hell. Go the complete, professional route until you are more familiar. Youll be glad you did, and your mechanic will be pleased as well.
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #4
4.0H.O.XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

JeepinOutfitters - OME 3" Suspension Kit, Cherokee, 1984-01, OME-XJ3

This is the lift system that I used, and it is one of the best, most complete systems on the market. be sure to add new leaf spring bushings and U bolts to your shopping cart as well as the aforementioned in my previous post. Also, a new, quality steering stabilizer will help you to avoid "death wobble" in your new, rebuilt and lifted suspension.

Installing this myself, it took about 4 hours, but I am a mechanic with a garage that has a lift. Shouldnt take your mech much longer than a day to do this if all of the parts are present for him to install. I installed the transfer case mods, extended brake lines,and rebuilt my suspension before I installed any other part of this, and I did most of it all at once. man what a difference. I figure I have about 1500-1600 dollars into everything under my jeep, including alignment, minus tires. Worth every penny, IMO.

Call jeepin'outfitters, they deal with this everyday, they have reasonable prices, and will guide you to the parts that you need to complete the lift and suspension upgrade. been dealing with them for years, they have never sent me the wrong part,always got my parts in time, and never tried to sell me anything that I didnt need. For a novice, this is a priceless service.

Good luck
4.0H.O.XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.