Surprise! A leak and im at work - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Surprise! A leak and im at work

Gear Installs at CCOR SpecialNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 11-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #1
cpdr26
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Surprise! A leak and im at work

Hey everyone, the xj has been having some heat issues lately, not getting very warm. I've also been having some unexplained coolant loss and haven't been able to figure out why, till today. I drove to work and then came back later to get something out of the jeep and saw this.

Im on my phone to upload the picture so I'll login when I get to a computer shortly and type the rest.

forumrunner_20121124_145106.jpg

cpdr26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
cpdr26
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Okay! Now at a computer. (also 99 XJ sport 4.0L 175k miles) So....here's what's been done.

Over a year ago:
- New radiator

In past 6 months:
- New head
- New head gasket
- New water pump
- New thermostat
- System flush

In past month:
- Flushed out heater core with Prestone solution mutiple times, ran hot water through til clean came out
- approx 2 gallons of coolant added to system

Everything has been totally cool until about 2 months ago. The heat has been very lacking, getting almost 'warm'. I fill the coolant level back up, and that seems to help, but then it would go back to being just kind of warm. So now during the daylight for the first time I see the drips underneath the front! Being awake during the day helps with diagnosing problems!

I opened up the hood and there is no coolant that I can see sprayed anywhere, or dripping. I'm not able to get underneath it to take a look until maybe Monday...

Anyone have some thoughts or suggestions what this is from or what could be suspect?
Unread 11-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There is reallly no magic to fixing a leak... get in there with a flashlight and find out where it's leaking from. Then fix it. Sorry, but there is no way any of us can look into a crystal ball and tell you where it's leaking from. I take it back... here, let me give you the ultimate truth about coolant leaks: it's leaking from some part of the engine that carries coolant. Does that help? Probably not, but that's the way it is. Go get your flashlight...

It also sounds like you're saying that the heater doesn't put out much heat, yes? There are two reasons for this: thermostat is stuck open, or the blend door in the heater box isn't working.
Unread 11-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'll hazard a guess:
Lower radiator hose, where it connects to the radiator.
Or a cracked radiator.
Is it an all aluminum radiator?
And can't you take 5 minutes to look before Monday?? Put on a dirty shirt, put a piece of cardboard on the ground?? AAANyway...
Hope you figure it out. Good luck.
sAe23 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Bumper leaking? Just kidding, but as said, better start looking asap.
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 12:33 AM   #6
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Bumper leaking? Just kidding, but as said, better start looking asap.
Leaking bumper is a serious issue caused by subatomic particles hitting the condenser and bouncing back, breaking down the bumper atoms. A known remedy consists of placing a picture of Chuck Norris on the bumper to use as a deterrent.

Here a suggestion: from a cold start step out and watch the engine as it warms up. I chased a mistery leaks for months, and it turned out to be a crack in the radiator. Only happened when engine was somewhere between cold and normal engine temperature, as the radiator (& crack) expanded.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
YoureverydayXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile
Leaking bumper is a serious issue caused by subatomic particles hitting the condenser and bouncing back, breaking down the bumper atoms. A known remedy consists of placing a picture of Chuck Norris on the bumper to use as a deterrent.

Here a suggestion: from a cold start step out and watch the engine as it warms up. I chased a mistery leaks for months, and it turned out to be a crack in the radiator. Only happened when engine was somewhere between cold and normal engine temperature, as the radiator (& crack) expanded.
Haha! Somewhere between this and wgirvine's post you should be able to get it.
Unread 11-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #8
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

There are 5 or so drip areas. The leak is likely up high and running into a few locations before it drips. Likely the radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, or waterpump from the pic above.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #9
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
Likely the radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, or waterpump...
Well, that narrows it down!
Unread 11-26-2012, 01:15 AM   #10
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetLifted View Post
Likely the radiator, hoses, thermostat housing, or waterpump from the pic above.
IF it is one of those, take a day when you have about an hour or so and get some new gaskets and put some silicone sealant on there and make sure its torqued on right. As always, make sure mating surfaces are dry and clean. Possible blow gasket but unlikely due to the position of the leak. Im agreeing with possible radiator hose leak or rad crack.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

It is NOT that unusual to see a new(er) radiator fail. I've seen it quite a few times.

Of course, a comprehensive inspection is warranted. With the BEST light you can get your hands on. Leaks can be very difficult to find oftentimes. Search both engine bay and from underneath. Get it on ramps or a hoist if you can't find it.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #12
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Have a shop put a pressure tester on the system. It will leak and you'll see it.

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
cpdr26
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think I may have found the problem.Looks like a gear clamp might be having an issue causing it to leak out not seal properly. I took pictures and I hope they look better on screen than on my phone.
forumrunner_20121127_115610.jpg   forumrunner_20121127_115638.jpg   forumrunner_20121127_115658.jpg  
Unread 11-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #14
cpdr26
1999 XJ Cherokee 

forumrunner_20121127_115733.jpg
Unread 11-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
JeepJohn92
1988 XJ Cherokee 

the hose clamp on the radiator hose?
Colorado Jeep Club Member #343
Built not bought.
JeepJohn92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.