Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

sudden really high oil pressure

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Johnd11 
#1 ·
So I have very high oil pressure, pegged all the way up to 80. When I just have the key on acc it's on about 40...could it be a sensor? If it was the oil filter breaking would there be other symptoms, because the jeep seems to be running pretty well otherwise? I just don't want to be damaging her as I'm driving. I do plan on doing an oil and filter change withing the next week or so, whenever it gets warm enough.

I have a 2000 XJ 4.0 if that helps at all

#2 ·
Most likely a bad oil pressure sending unit (common problem). It is right above the oil filter and really easy to change. All you need is a 1" wrench. Unplug the connector, unscrew the old one, screw the new one in, plug the connector back in, that's it. I would recommend getting a Mopar one from the dealer as aftermarket ones are hit and miss and are often dead right out of the box.

#5 ·
You can do it without doing an oil change, It is high enough you won't get any significant oil loss (maybe a few drips but that's it).

Hudson said:
No you're not doing any damage just not getting an accurate reading on your gauges.

If you don't care about the gauge not being accurate just leave it.
As Hudson said all not having a working sender will do is make the gauge inaccurate, however I wouldn't leave it go for too long since if you ever do loose oil pressure you won't know it until its too late.

#4 ·
Johnd11 said:
awesome sounds easy enough can I do that without doing the oil change or should I still do that
also am I doing any damage to the jeep with a bad sending unit or can I wait until it warms up
No you're not doing any damage just not getting an accurate reading on your gauges.

If you don't care about the gauge not being accurate just leave it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.