Sudden gas mileage drop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Sudden gas mileage drop

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 07-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #1
woodie416
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sudden gas mileage drop

So i got this problem. I used to average around 15-16 mpg city in my xj, but this last week or two i have been averaging around 10-12 mpg city. so could anyone tell me something that could be going on to cause this? and could you also tell me what your average mpg is. Thanks guys

woodie416 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM   #2
floridamud
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i have the same problem right now, i dropped from 19mpg to 8mpg in one week, i think it might be the 02 sensors but i dont know
()_) ()_) ---- )_)........()_)--- ) ()_) ---- )_)
floridamud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 07:24 PM   #3
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lot of places are going to 'winter blend' gas right now, and that will adversely affect MPG>
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
danno627
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
Lot of places are going to 'winter blend' gas right now, and that will adversely affect MPG>

agreed. every winter I go from 15-16 to like 12. when they switch back to summer blend mpgs increase
danno627 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by footypaul View Post
makes alot of since. gas here just hit 2.79 a gallon. so it figures the cheaper stuff gets crappier mileage
compfreak530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
xjpro
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think we are all suffering from the same. The mileage on my XJ has dropped from around 17 to 12 mpg which is driving me crazy. No CEL light whatsoever and everything seems to be ok, but I guess that our problem is that ďwinter blend gasĒ
So for this time letís not blame our XJís!!!
Electric fan conversion with spal fan controller
xjpro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
footypaul
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by compfreak530 View Post
makes alot of since. gas here just hit 2.79 a gallon. so it figures the cheaper stuff gets crappier mileage
Technically, the winter blend is more costly than the regular summer stuff. Oil prices are just dropping so quick right now that it doesnt show.
footypaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2008, 11:13 PM   #8
crcashman

I had been getting about 11-13 MPGs on Chicago's blend. I filled up a week after moving and got 16 MPG on the first tank. A few weeks later I did a basic tune-up and I've been getting a pretty consistent 19-20 in mixed driving and about 23 on highway trips. Its all in the blend.
crcashman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #9
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, mine has nose-dived in the past couple weeks as well, as it does every winter. I'm sure due to running winter blend, truck doesn't heat up as quickly in colder weather so spends longer time running rich, may keep ideling longer for heat, tire pressue goes down, etc., etc.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-20-2008, 06:06 AM   #10
woodie416
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpro View Post
I think we are all suffering from the same. The mileage on my XJ has dropped from around 17 to 12 mpg which is driving me crazy. No CEL light whatsoever and everything seems to be ok, but I guess that our problem is that ďwinter blend gasĒ
So for this time letís not blame our XJís!!!
haha yeah man for once its not the xj's fault
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
namichael
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had no idea that the blend of gas could play such a roll in MPG. Mine is doing the same thing. I thought that something may have been wrong with the XJ, because I had just recently changed the oil, air filter, replaced the PCV hose, and ran some fuel injector cleaner through it and then the loss of MPG.

Glad to see it's not just me.
Unread 10-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
BigD 275
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, definitely the gas (as long as the car seems to be running properly other than the mpg decline).

I lose about 3-4 mpg every year once the gas stations start carrying the winter blend gas.

Also, the problem is on a cold start up as well. The computer is telling the engine to use more fuel until it reaches operating temperature, which obviously takes longer when it is cold outside.
Unread 10-21-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
rust64
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I wonder if it might help to disconnect the battery, and wipe the computer memory. Maybe it would help to let the computer relearn its' optimum settings. Don't know for sure, but it doesn't cost anything to try it.
rust64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
jebmccall
1997 XJ Cherokee 

hmmm i am having opposite affects here in ga, mine went up about 2
jebmccall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #15
woodie416
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebmccall View Post
hmmm i am having opposite affects here in ga, mine went up about 2
lucky you man!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.