Sub Category for XJ section - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Sub Category for XJ section

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

View Poll Results: Do you want a Sub Category for Street Applications?
Yes, give the guys who plan on staying on the street a place to talk. 67 38.29%
No, don't need it, don't want it. 47 26.86%
Either way I won't be bothered by it. 61 34.86%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Unread 04-26-2006, 10:25 AM   #16
jbrem
2005 WK 

I wouldn't mind either way...I truely want to lift mine and turn it into an off-road rig, but don't have the time. I could see myself visiting the street-oriented section for some tips on performance, though.

Unread 04-26-2006, 10:54 AM   #17
andrew2516

I voted for the Street/ Performance sub category

I'm more into lifted xj's and offroading...but I also like keeping my XJ clean, and try to buff scratches out after offroad(that doesn't make me a street/performance guy, I just like looking good on/offroad). To me the "street XJ" threads do take up space that could have something helpful. I think it would be good for the street/ performance guys to because they wouldn't have to keep bringing their topics back up to the top after they fall because less guys on here are into that.

This tech section could still help them with other tech stuff but this would keep the street tech and XJ's on 22"s away from the more offroad only guys.

If this new section did open up, I would visit both just to see whats in the Street/ Performance section but I would probably stay mainly in the cherokee tech.
36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
Unread 04-26-2006, 11:43 AM   #18
cmotsvt

Maybe just add a 2wd/non-offroad/racing jeep forum, let them all be bunched together whether XJ, MJ, ZJ, etc.
Unread 04-26-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
wolfepack215
1987 XJ Cherokee 

A jeep thing is a Jeep Thing!! Lifted Lowered, Extremed, whatever, its all jeep. It doesnt matter to me either way, Id check it out everyonceinawhile to see if there's anything I can use, and Im sure the streeters would do the same. We all start with the same machine and mod from there. So why not provide another venue for street jeeps to meet? my $.02.

Unread 04-26-2006, 01:16 PM   #20
russkrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Russ you don't even post on a local club website....
because it has been 5 days since the last person posted in the Indiana section... I just can't wait that long....
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:25 PM   #21
Drew M
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I think 2/3rds of the "performance" tech is universal. Certainly the street types won't give a damn about lifts but at the same time engine performance, driveline/electrical/HVAC problems are all universal. Having 2 separate locations for this type of question will, in my opinion only net these folks even LESS answers because they will be asking a much smaller resource pool.

My suggestion would be to create tech specific forums for their interests ie:

- Stereos & Neon Tech Forum
- Waxing & Polishing Tech Forum
- 30s on 20s How-To

I am being somewhat sarcastic but you get the idea (Only because I have no idea what a Jeep owner who doesn't offroad is interested in).

Additionally there is enough tech here that I think the Cherokee section should be broken up anyway. I think that at the very least there needs to be an Engine and Driveline Performance/Problems sub category as well as a Suspension sub-category.

I think focus can be refined and better targetted without segregating the categories which are common.
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:32 PM   #22
jrn1023

I'm confused on the intended target for the sub-thread? Will XJ "Technical" forum turn into XJ "offroad" forum, with an XJ onroad forum addition? What types of postings would we expect to see in one forum vs. the other? And how many more "you posted that poor gas mileage thread in the wrong forum" should we expect to see? I personally don't see a need, but I'll have to see how it all plays out if wego ahead with this. Oh, and I'll likely be perusing both forums as has been mentioned before this forum is addicting.
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:36 PM   #23
Drew M
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well it is more efficient because now when a street tUnR has a question about a TPS he is gonna ask it in a forum that 3/4 of the people who know the answer won't ever go in.
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #24
andrew2516

The addition of this new category means you won't have to look at threads like this anymore

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/lets-see-him-take-off-road-all-lift-265829/
36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
Unread 04-26-2006, 01:44 PM   #25
shloky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M
I think 2/3rds of the "performance" tech is universal. Certainly the street types won't give a damn about lifts but at the same time engine performance, driveline/electrical/HVAC problems are all universal. Having 2 separate locations for this type of question will, in my opinion only net these folks even LESS answers because they will be asking a much smaller resource pool.

My suggestion would be to create tech specific forums for their interests ie:

- Stereos & Neon Tech Forum
- Waxing & Polishing Tech Forum
- 30s on 20s How-To

I am being somewhat sarcastic but you get the idea (Only because I have no idea what a Jeep owner who doesn't offroad is interested in).

Additionally there is enough tech here that I think the Cherokee section should be broken up anyway. I think that at the very least there needs to be an Engine and Driveline Performance/Problems sub category as well as a Suspension sub-category.

I think focus can be refined and better targetted without segregating the categories which are common.
Right on.

Fixes the problem of street not getting enough views by breaking it down into sections that interest everyone

[B]Sound:[/B]
CLARION DB355MP HEADUNIT [/FONT][/SIZE]
Unread 04-26-2006, 02:10 PM   #26
jrn1023

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2516
The addition of this new category means you won't have to look at threads like this anymore

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265829

Not sure that thread belongs in either category!!!!
Unread 04-26-2006, 02:44 PM   #27
Drew M
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That thread needs to be circular filed.
Unread 04-26-2006, 04:04 PM   #28
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

Yes get them out of are 4x4in threads and back on the street

I have some ideas though

Should make stickies in there, like how to install that stupid sub box in the rear like everyone always asks, and junk like that

Will a TB get me 30MPG?

you know
Unread 04-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #29
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Btt ...............................

Unread 04-28-2006, 07:44 AM   #30
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M
I think that at the very least there needs to be an Engine and Driveline Performance/Problems sub category as well as a Suspension sub-category.
There already are separate forums for those:

Engines/Performance: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f19/

Drivetrain: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f93/

Suspension/tires/etc.: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f15/

AND

Audio: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/

The only issue is that they're listed under "Off-Road Performance" (even the audio) on the main forums page, which might be confusing/misleading for newbies, so they might shy away when most of the stuff they're looking for is right there. I wouldn't change it though. If everyone would just use the friggin' search function, they'd find their subwoofer/tire size/wheels threads anyway...

Engines are a universal topic, b/c 'froaders are always looking for more tq/hp too, so there's already a sufficient sub-forum for everybody.

You won't find them discussing 22's in the suspension/tires forum, but they do discuss shocks, including on-road perf shocks.

And elsewhere, welding new spring perches is discussed for lifted vehicles... the same tech (slightly modified) applies to people who want to lower their XJs. At any rate, the street forum is redundant as far as most of the tech, I agree.

Practically, the street forum's only use is as an excuse to banish the non-lifted jeeps, plus a sort of firing line for 'froaders who occasionally want to 'lift' their ego by going in to start a bad thread about 22's.

Ideally, the only use for the street forum would be to collect very specific links/info/writeups that apply primarily to on-road or racing performance--like www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com or www.qwkjeep.com or www.jeepspeed.com (all of which have been posted over & over again on this forum already). Otherwise, just direct people to the other sub-forums, or to NAXJA or JU Speedfreaks.

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
Closed Thread

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.