stuck in part-time 4-wheel drive - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Pit Partner

stuck in part-time 4-wheel drive

Our youngest son borrowed our 1992 Briarwood with Selec-Trac to help
a friend move. When my wife went to drive she found the dash indicator
light for part-time 4-wheel drive on and could not shift out of this mode.
I have also been unable to return to 2-wheel drive.

We are new Jeep owners and would greatly appreciate any suggestions.
JeepForum was very helpful with our first problem.

Thanks,

Pit Partner and wife

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 02:49 PM
Pattonsky

I had the same problem with my 1987 Cherokee. I learned that I had to backup to get it out of 4wd. You could hear it click out after 5 or 6 tries.

2000 []lllll[] XJ Classic (Moms)
1996 []lllll[] XJ Classic (My Work Vehicle)
1996 []lllll[] XJ Sport (Run Around Jeep)
1987 []lllll[] XJ Cherokee Chief 2 door
1995 ()lllll() YJ Rio Grande
post #3 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Pit Partner

Thanks Pattonsky!

Pattonsky,

Thanks! Your suggestion worked on the fourth try.

This forum is such a great resource. Experience from all of you
is worth more than all the manuals and books out there.

Pit Partner (and wife)

post #4 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 03:42 PM
madrabbitt

When a selec-trac is stuck in a specific gear (usually full time hi)

get a flat stretch of road (dirt or a loose surface like gravel is better)

drive forward with the wheels perfectly straight at like 5-10 mph and pull the handle smoothly back with a little bit of leftward pressure so you dont pull it back to neutral. when its fully against the stop and in the full time position, continue driving at least 20 or 30 feet. it may take a few release/taps of the petal to switch to full time and have the green light come on.
-if the green light DOES come on and the amber goes off, then continue driving forward slowly, and in one strong fluid motion, push it all the way forward to the 2wd position without stopping in the part time position. the light should turn off and it shouldnt go back to part time. Once it does this, reverse at 5mph for at least 15 yards... The TC should be unbound and function normal now.
-If even in the full time position, the orange light stays on, then reverse for about 15 yards, see if anything changes. drive forward slowly, then while driving push the handle forward to the 2wd position in one strong fluid motion without stopping at part time. tap/release the gas and see if the light turns off within 30 or 40 yards If not, reverse again for about 15 yards and see if the light turns off.
If the light is STILL on amber, drive forward and turn the wheel sharply to full stop, then a tiny bit out to keep from straining the steering box, see if it hops or seems to bind the front axle.
If it DOES bind up and act weird (like its popping something) then likely your transfer case is damaged and wont shift. It may be the shift linkage or the internals.
If it DOES NOT bind up, then your TC should be fine, and the sensor that tells it what position its in, is stuck on part time.

Installing HID's in stock housings is bad.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
post #5 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Pit Partner

Thanks madrabbit

Madrabbit,

Thanks for the imformation. I am going to make a hard copy of this
procedure and keep it in the glove box just in case the problem
reoccurs.

Is this common for Selec-Trac equipped vehicles?

I really apreciate the time you took to explain what to try.

Pit Partner
post #6 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 05:47 PM
dopod

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Yes it's common, mine does it too. It doesn't seem to affect anything other than it's annoying to get out of 4wd. I put it in neutral and decelerate at the same time and it usually pops out right away.
post #7 of 20 Old 06-16-2007, 06:34 PM
madrabbitt

i've had three vehicles with a version of this transfer case. my current cherokee, my old cherokee, and a dodge at my former ems agency.

i've noticed, that the selectrac transfer case is more likely then command trac to bind when run in part time on solid paved surfaces.

The list of instructions has come from many years of trial and error (mostly error) with this transfer case.

i personally love the selectrac, and it's been the deciding factor on two purchases, and 4 non purchases, when it's come to my jeeps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
post #8 of 20 Old 06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
whoy207
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Command TRac.

I have a similar problem with an 88 cherokee with the Command Trac set up. The front axle disengages , but the transfer case remains engaged and the "part time" light stays on. This happened after Katrina hit when I was pulling trees out of the road with my cherokee. Will the same techniques for the select-trac setup work on the command trac?
post #9 of 20 Old 06-24-2007, 06:40 PM
madrabbitt

very likely not.

the selec-trac's full time position allows a transfer of tourqe from front to back. since the front and rear diffs arent locked togther, it allows the TC to unbind.

you could, of course, try it. It wouldnt hurt it anymore.

post #10 of 20 Old 06-27-2007, 02:22 PM
AceNYC
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had a problem, stuck in AWD on my 99 Select trak w/ 90 k or so miles. Took it to dealer who changed fluid in AWD transfer case and then it worked.
According to dealer, the AWD shifts INTO AWD with the lever and OUT of AWD w/ fluid pressure, so worn fluid does not have enough pressure to get you back into 2wd.
post #11 of 20 Old 06-27-2007, 02:50 PM
whoy207
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I dont know if mine works the same way, but i'm sure it could use a fluid change. Thanks for the idea.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-27-2007, 05:22 PM
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNYC
I had a problem, stuck in AWD on my 99 Select trak w/ 90 k or so miles. Took it to dealer who changed fluid in AWD transfer case and then it worked.
According to dealer, the AWD shifts INTO AWD with the lever and OUT of AWD w/ fluid pressure, so worn fluid does not have enough pressure to get you back into 2wd.
thats close enough to be accurate for the casual user.

yes, fluid pressure plays a large part in the shifting of the transfer cases.

post #13 of 20 Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM
joeyschribar

umm, my t-case np231 had about 2 table spoons of fluid in it, shifted perfectly

the chain came loose from lack of fluid tho.

how does fluid pressure have anything to do with a mechanical shifting t-case?
post #14 of 20 Old 01-24-2008, 09:57 PM
the_weirdo

1998 XJ Cherokee 

The basic answer is by reducing friction and providing a boundary layer of fluid that keeps the metal from grinding.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-07-2008, 12:53 AM
pierceandrew1
1986 XJ Cherokee 

-Now I've read about everything on this before posting. Nobody really has the set up I have because they're discussing newer jeeps.
-My Select-Trac switch is seperate and by itself behind the shifter.
-1. I don't get a display of what Im in on the dash (some other problem maybe)
-2. I'm in 4 High all the time. I know this is cuz the H is lit up where I can switch from H to L
-3. When i pull the lever to try and go to 4L it doesn't pull back all the way. Can't even pull it to N.
-4. When I hit the Select-Trac switch to try and get to 2wd I hear air around the switch.

Any ideas? It's an 86' jeep, but only 140k miles.. Good motor, Just have this problem and I drive it too much right now to not be able to get 2wd.

Last edited by pierceandrew1; 09-07-2008 at 01:49 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.