STuCK OIL PAN BOLTS - REAR MAIN SEAL - WT*?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > STuCK OIL PAN BOLTS - REAR MAIN SEAL - WT*?!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
meangreen909
1999 XJ Cherokee 

STuCK OIL PAN BOLTS - REAR MAIN SEAL - WT*?!

As I am removing all the oil pan bolts and studs I approach the last two that are on both sides of the main seal. I tried to remove them but I cant because they are wedged there so bad that I can get the socket and if I did it wont be able to turn because one of the edges on the bolt is completely flush to the oil pan lip.

WT* IS THIS ABOUT?

meangreen909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
mtb_crzd47
2000 WJ 

You can get a socket in there, it just takes a little finesse and a lot of extensions. It may help to remove the inspection plate on the tranny as well. Sounds like you may need to persuade the lip out of the way a little bit, be creative with this one, just not dumb.
mtb_crzd47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #3
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

You could stick a slim chisel between the bolt and the pan to make room for the socket. The pan is aluminum and is somehow flexible, just don't damage it too much cause it'll bend. Also try to find a socket with slim edges.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put the socket on an extension and tap it on with a hammer. The end ones are a different size than the side ones.
Ron
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #5
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
The pan is aluminum and is somehow flexible, just don't damage it too much cause it'll bend. Also try to find a socket with slim edges.
Actually the pan is steel, but yes, it can be bent/pried out of the way.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 06:09 AM   #6
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I got mine out using a 1/4" drive and a ton of extensions. The bolts can be removed with either 1/2" or 13mm socket. Getting them back in required a bit of tapping with the hammer to get them tightened all the way down.
mbardeen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.