Stuck in Four Wheel Drive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stuck in Four Wheel Drive

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 01-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #1
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Stuck in Four Wheel Drive

My jeep is getting stuck in four wheel drive. After it sits for about thirty minutes with the lever in two wheel drive position then it will actually go in to two wheel drive. The lever moves freely it just does not cause it to disengage the four wheel drive. Any thoughts on this? Could it be a vacuum issue?

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #2
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

Well from experience I know that the best thing to do for the cases sake is to back up if you take it out of 4wd, I always do it or I dont take it out tell I can back up, just a few feet and you will hear or feel it pop out of 4wd

Give it a shot, Good luck
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #3
nitrocarmsn

yea i back up too when i take it out of 4wd, works everything, i even do this with my dads 03 dodge ram hemi 4X4, eventho its "shift on the fly"
95 xj sport black, 4.0L HO, AW4, NP231, dana 35C, tow hooks and hitch, skids all around, rewired aux. fan for switch, air shocks in rear, apache A/T's, pioneer head unit, 2 sony explode subs 1100W each, Dual 460W amp, ex military vehicle.
nitrocarmsn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:32 PM   #4
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocarmsn
yea i back up too when i take it out of 4wd, works everything, i even do this with my dads 03 dodge ram hemi 4X4, eventho its "shift on the fly"
Well the jeep does to, but it is beyond that. Just puts the front end out when you back it up

i shift in to 4wd doing 40, but I take it out stopped and then back up

NOTE: ONLY shift into 4lo, stopped and in N
Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Even if the vac. disco isn't working properly the TC is what activates/disengages the front driveshaft. Make sure the lever is all the way down and try backing up. If that dosn't do it, check the linkage on your TC.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #6
anony91xj

Check the fluid level and contidion in the Tcase. Which case are we talking about here, 231 or 242?
Unread 01-19-2006, 07:46 AM   #7
Thelt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Backing it up is the first thing I tried. It did not work. I have had other four by fours which needed you to do that but it is not helping here.

I have the transfer case that has the part time mode, full time mode, and the low range. I put it in full time mode and then when I try to go back to two wheel mode it is getting stuck in part time.

I hate environmentalists, they keep me from enjoying the environment.
Thelt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 08:09 AM   #8
JoBo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt
Backing it up is the first thing I tried. It did not work. I have had other four by fours which needed you to do that but it is not helping here.

I have the transfer case that has the part time mode, full time mode, and the low range. I put it in full time mode and then when I try to go back to two wheel mode it is getting stuck in part time.

That would be the 242 "full time 4wd" transfer case then. Most have the 231 "part time 4wd" case
2000 Cherokee Classic with factory 16" wheels
JoBo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:41 AM   #9
saxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Try gunning the throttle and backing off, that usually does it with mine. You may need to do it a couple of times.

When I got my Cherokee, it had never been used in 4wd, and when switching between FT and 2wd it also used to get stuck for quite a while, now it shifts quickly.
Unread 01-19-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
Jeppy

mine does it too. when I shift from full time to 2WD it gets into part time. I usually have to back up, sometimes a few accel - decel cylcles does it, I think it's common
Black Hood Decal
MFG build date 10/13
Black Keys all the way up on the stereo:
"Well my Next-Jeep, be nothin' like my Ex-Jeep"
Jeppy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:07 PM   #11
jcr23

check to make sure your front tires have equal air pressures
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:24 PM   #12
BIGNUTT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my 242 sticks too, I was in 4wd, threw back into 2wd and drove around the neighbor hood 2 miles before it went out....suxs.

I have never tried backing up though.

Proud to be a Christian
BIGNUTT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.