Stuck Door Latch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stuck Door Latch

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-04-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
tarofinnian
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Stuck Door Latch

I searched old threads and could not find a definitive answer....The driver door on my 1991 Laredo was not shutting well. I started to tinker with the latch and it flipped up. Now it is stuck in the locked position. Could not close the door, removed dome and floor bulbs. I have power locks and neither that nor the key will make it move. Also tried pushing with a screwdriver. I had this happen on the hatch of another Cherokee years ago, but I forget how it was resolved. Does anyone have the magic solution for this problem? Door is currently tied shut with hemp string. Blessings....TJ

tarofinnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
lilnapsak
1997 XJ Cherokee 

pull the door panel and pull/push the rods, if that doesnt work do the same thing but pulling at the latch with a screwdriver too. jiggle is around, get creative.
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

when you pry on the latch to pop it, you are pushing the thumb button or the interior latch- pulling to open??
to release the lock on the latch... i've seen a few ppl just pry on it and forgot this part of the mix and bent the latch= a new latch..
spray it all with some penetrating oil...
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have a similar problem with my 99. It is my driver side rear door it just wont open. The locks on every door are slow to lock and unlock and finally this one stopped moving altogether with the electric. You can manually move the lock button but the door still wont open. Is this a common problem? I was thinking about taking the panel off and lubing. Is that a good idea? Thanks.
billb2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

yep, all the pivot points for the linkage will rust up,
my buddy's 92 the rear doors need to be lubed, you have to push real hard on the thumb button to release the latch..he needs it done almost every year cause of the water crossings we do...told him to have it undercoated- that way they spray inside the doors and no need to take it apart to get at everything...bonus is it helps slow the rust....
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
tarofinnian
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for responses. Latch is still stuck. Am driving with a bungee cord fastened to back of seat. I would prefer not to pull the panel and don't have the proper tools anyhow. I removed the plastic coating with need-nose to no avail. This thing is really stuck. Any suggestions?
tarofinnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

You are going to have to pull the door panel to fix it. It is not a hard job at all. The panel is held in with a few screws on the handle, and some ribbed pin things scattered around that should pull straight out from the door.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.