Stuck axle nut - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stuck axle nut

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 02-27-2013, 04:44 AM   #46
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Alright thank you. I'm just trying to figure out which one i should buy so I don't have to worry about it in the future.
We use mostly IR Ti- series air guns at my like I wrote above, and they get used HARD - that is, thrown around the ships deck a couple dozen times a day, they see salt, grime, rust, grease, all kinds of crap, and temps ranging between -20*F... +90*F. We torque and untorque a few hundred chain lashing speedlock bolts each day, and they just keep on going. Can't really say a bad thing about 'em.

Quote:
The IR is rated at 780 ft/ibs of max torque. Costs $259. (Amazon says it normally costs $434.)

Snap on one is rated at 1,190 max break away and a recommended 810 ft/ibs. Costs $459. I'm leaning towards that one.
That's what their marketing departments say True ratings are somewhat different, I wouldn't trust those numbers on any air impact gun no matter who manufactures it. Dunno if they measure 'em at well over 10bar tank pressure or what, but I think I've never seen a 1/2" impact that actually delivers the torque ratings they promise. However, they usually are very powerful if you've got a good compressor that generates enough air volume and preferrably 10bar (whatever that is in PSI) pressure. Expect a big drop in torque ratings if you have a small compressor.

Quote:
You have any advice for buying a 1/4" impact? Would you go with an air ratchet or air impact for 1/4"? Or both?
I've never felt I need a 1/4" air impact or air ratchet, so can't really say.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #47
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
Snap on one is rated at 1,190 max break away and a recommended 810 ft/ibs. Costs $459. I'm leaning towards that one.

You have any advice for buying a 1/4" impact? Would you go with an air ratchet or air impact for 1/4"? Or both?
The ratings on impact wrenches are dependent on the pressure AND FLOW at the tool being a specified value. If you connect that same tool to a 50 ft. 3/8" diameter hose, the max. torque is WAY, WAY less. Just be forwarned, as you can spend a ton of money on the tool, and get poor results if you don't supply it correctly.

Impact wrenches in the 1/4" range are pretty much useless. You will RARELY see a bolt that 1/4" drive stuff is used on that is tight enough to warrant air tools, unless you are in a production environment and are installing 150 of them per day.

For "lightweight" work, I prefer a 3/8" drive "butterfly" impact for doing stuff like water pump removal, differential covers, etc. It's big enough to do the lower torque bolts, but not so big as to be likely to snap stuff off.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:48 PM   #48
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

While I'm sure that Snap-On impacts are nice, I've bought IR on the recommendation of several professional mechanics (who have a fair amount of other snap-on tools), and have not been disappointed. That 1190 ft-lbs "max break away" is probably similar to IR's claim of 1000ft-lbs of "Nut busting torque" (seen on the IR 2135 Ti), in that it isn't a real, measurable rating. IR's "nut busting torque" said that it would break a nut loose tightened to 1000 ft-lbs in 6 seconds. So I would just ignore those numbers.

780 isn't that much different than 810. Is 30 ft-lbs worth 200 dollars to you? Especially considering IR has a rock solid reputation?

(FWIW, I have an IR 2131 that has been used and abused, rebuilt it a few years ago for 50-75 bucks and on it goes, and an IR 2135 Ti that has been flawless)

Rebuild kits for the IR stuff are available on Amazon for under 40 bucks usually as well.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #49
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy
He's got 1 bar of air to fill 2 lungs to power 2 arms. Perhaps its time to use the jeep and its 2 tons of weight and roll that nut loose. Just a hair. With a breaker bar.. and no bystanders.
That's what I was thinking. The jeep can break the nut loose.

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:27 PM   #50
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well I managed to replace the U-joint with a heck of a lot of hammering and a few gallons of elbow grease. As I was putting everything back on, I noticed that when spinning the hub, there is a clunk, clunk, clunk sound coming from somewhere around the tranny. Might be normal, but I don't think I've heard it before. Any ideas?
aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 10:19 PM   #51
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm
Well I managed to replace the U-joint with a heck of a lot of hammering and a few gallons of elbow grease. As I was putting everything back on, I noticed that when spinning the hub, there is a clunk, clunk, clunk sound coming from somewhere around the tranny. Might be normal, but I don't think I've heard it before. Any ideas?

Like the transfer case?

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 11:05 PM   #52
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, upon further inspection that is where it's coming from. Maybe the u-joint there is bad too... There is sone spin play in the front shaft.
Unread 02-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #53
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm
Yeah, upon further inspection that is where it's coming from. Maybe the u-joint there is bad too... There is sone spin play in the front shaft.
How much? Half an inch or so is normal

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #54
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

It not a lot, so I guess this is normal. Replacing the u-joint has stopped most of the pops and clicks in the steering, but there is still some creaking and the steering wheel is occasionally stiff on tight, slow turns... Bad rack and pinion maybe?
Unread 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #55
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

No rack, just a steering box. Depends on the noise. Have you checked the PS fluid?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.