Stuck axle nut - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stuck axle nut

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finallyajeep
150 psi is nothing...I wear an air pack with a 4500 psi bottle into a fire just saying...
Yea, but instead of air, it's liquid pentachlorophenol. Not something you want to be inhaling.

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #32
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Thats a pretty badass air tank, 150psi is insane.

Same psi that my OBA tank holds.

That's the treatment tank. It'll hold a true vaccuum of -30 psi and well over 300 psi. The 10,000 gallon air tank is out of the frame. The treatment tank is closer to 50,000 gallons

My Build Thread
Unread 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #33
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you can beg borrow or steal an impact, it'll help you out a lot.

I spent hours on a pinion nut with breaker bars, jacks, heat, etc. and *nothing*.

1 minute with a buddy's little craftsman electric impact and it zipped right off.

It's not the force, it's the application of it that makes the difference.

(Great suggestion whoever said to just stop by the nearest shop, btw)

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #34
JbmLaredo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearingthin

Nah, three different guys went to work with the breaker bar. And that's not gonna do anything to help loosen it, the hammering action of an impact gun does that. This was on back in blacks jeep, and his little harbor freight tool.

I know the value of a good air gun because this is what I use one for. Blows the **** out of your little toy Milwaukees.

That door weighs 10k pounds and holds back over 150psi of pressure. That counter weight above the cylinder is solid lead to balance the Air gun weight. Maybe I'll get a shot of the compressor air tank, it holds 10,000 gallons of air. But do tell me about your battery powered guns.
That is the biggest f*****g air tank I have ever seen what do u do at tha shop build space craft lol
JbmLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #35
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Getting back to the topic at hand.... Tried the Harbor Freight electric impact gun approach. Sorry to those who were pulling for it, but it started smoking on the first lug nut, torqued to 100ft/lbs. Definitely not gonna work. I got fed up and just pulled the shaft out with the hub still attached. Unfortunately, the dust guard is making it really hard to remove the u-joints since I'm doing it with a ball joint press.
aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #36
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm
Getting back to the topic at hand.... Tried the Harbor Freight electric impact gun approach. Sorry to those who were pulling for it, but it started smoking on the first lug nut, torqued to 100ft/lbs. Definitely not gonna work. I got fed up and just pulled the shaft out with the hub still attached. Unfortunately, the dust guard is making it really hard to remove the u-joints since I'm doing it with a ball joint press.

Welp I take back my guarantee, maybe the one we used was special :shrug: If you just went and bought it return it for your money back.

If you already have it out, you can check around for machine shops that have hydraulic presses that'll pop the caps out for a few bucks each

My Build Thread
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:54 PM   #37
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearingthin
....the hammering action of an impact gun does that....

...But do tell me about your battery powered guns....
Yeah, I know why impact guns are effective on torquing or opening bolts and nuts.

As for the battery- and air-powered impact guns, I stated that because both of what we use at our workplace beat the crap out of a 20$ harbour freight or any other made-in-china crap. I really don't care if you use smaller or bigger equipment than we do.

Then again, since you are using that type of stuff, I'd imagine you knew that cheap crap won't work

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #38
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
50/50 ATF and Acetone mix will loosen up anything. Try it and thank me later.
Hell yes.

And stop waving air peni around. Who cares, the guy doent have your electric fancy impacts or your 10K air tanks.

He's got 1 bar of air to fill 2 lungs to power 2 arms. Perhaps its time to use the jeep and its 2 tons of weight and roll that nut loose. Just a hair. With a breaker bar.. and no bystanders.
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #39
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj

Yeah, I know why impact guns are effective on torquing or opening bolts and nuts.

As for the battery- and air-powered impact guns, I stated that because both of what we use at our workplace beat the crap out of a 20$ harbour freight or any other made-in-china crap. I really don't care if you use smaller or bigger equipment than we do.

Then again, since you are using that type of stuff, I'd imagine you knew that cheap crap won't work

Who was that tard that mentioned using that cheap thing in the first place anyway

My Build Thread
Unread 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM   #40
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
the dust guard is making it really hard to remove the u-joints since I'm doing it with a ball joint press.
Use a hammer and sockets. Maybe easier than getting the whole press in there and less risk of bending the ears on the axle shafts.
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:39 PM   #41
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
Like Bif said use a pair of sockets and a hammer instead. Sorry about the dust sheilds, I haven't run them in a few years, forgot they can be a pain.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:10 PM   #42
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Went to Pep Boys and asked nicely if they could get a nut off for me. They took the axle shaft to the garage while I waited. I heard a whole lot of "WHIRRRRR DING DING DING DING DING!!!!".... pause ... "WHIRRRRR DING DING DING DING DING!!!!" And about 5 minutes later the came back with a loosened hub! Mission accomplished. Not a dime spent. Gonna return that Harbor Freight impact gun, cause sorry to say Wearingthin, but that thing sucks.

Anyway, after much hammering with no vice or u-joint cradle, I got the old one out. Dry as a bone and fell apart in my hands. I'm a little worried about taking a hammer to the new one though, what with those delicately placed needle bearing....
aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #43
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:

Question for you.

Money isn't an option. You're offered an IR 1/2" Air Impact Gun (their top of the line gun) or you can take a Snap On 1/2" Air Impact Gun (their top of the line gun).

Which one do you take? The IR or the Snap On?

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 12:14 AM   #44
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Dunno about snap-on, no such tools over this side of the ocean so can't really say what is their top of the line quality or how are they priced. There are some cheap tools that work ok for the home user, but mostly cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

Based on my experience, most of the cheap chinese tools are not worth the investment, not even for home use. They usually wear out very quickly, don't do what they're supposed to or they just are overall bad quality.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:31 AM   #45
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Dunno about snap-on, no such tools over this side of the ocean so can't really say what is their top of the line quality or how are they priced. There are some cheap tools that work ok for the home user, but mostly cheap stuff is cheap for a reason.

Based on my experience, most of the cheap chinese tools are not worth the investment, not even for home use. They usually wear out very quickly, don't do what they're supposed to or they just are overall bad quality.
Alright thank you. I'm just trying to figure out which one i should buy so I don't have to worry about it in the future. Going to just spend the money now for a good impact and forget about it.

The IR is rated at 780 ft/ibs of max torque. Costs $259. (Amazon says it normally costs $434.)

Snap on one is rated at 1,190 max break away and a recommended 810 ft/ibs. Costs $459. I'm leaning towards that one.

You have any advice for buying a 1/4" impact? Would you go with an air ratchet or air impact for 1/4"? Or both?

That's how I feel. I avoid harbor freight like the plague.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.