Stuck axle nut - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stuck axle nut

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 02-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Stuck axle nut

Whose got a good tip for freeing up a stuck axle nut. This thing is REALLY stuck. Almost certainly hasn't been removed in the 23 year life of the jeep. Soaked it in liquid wrench and WD-40, tried a breaker bar, tried a breaker bar with two people, tried a breaker bar and a 3ft steel pipe with two people and still nothing. Don't have an impact wrench, though I'm not sure that would work anyway. My next idea is to use my 2 1/2 ton jack to push the breaker bar.

So, will an impact wrench work any better? Also, I've been using a 36mm socket, but does anyone know if that's the right size? I removed the cotter pine and castle type washer. There isn't anything else, holding it in, is there???

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

36mm is correct. Go somewhere that has a big impact wrench, and bust it loose. Re-tighten, and drive home. Jacking on breaker bar may work. If the unit hub will not be re-used, apply some heat.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
grumpy66

I used a 4 or 5 foot breaker bar.
grumpy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #4
americangunner
2011 JK Wrangler 

If you have access to a torch you can heat it up and it should break loose easier.
SmittyBuilt Neoprene Seat Covers, Cobra 75 WX ST CB, Hella 500 Black Magic Windshield mounted driving lights, Rugged Ridge Evap Skid and front and rear Diff Skids. Teraflex 2.5" coil spring lift currently on order.
americangunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #5
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'm only replacing the u-joint, so should I not apply heat? How would heat damage the hub?
aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 06:15 AM   #6
Millermagic
2000 XJ Cherokee 

WD40 is not a penetrant. Soak a rag in PB Blaster, wrap it around the end of the axle nut and keep dripping some on. It will eventually work it's way in.

If you are only replacing the U joint, why not just take out the 3 bolts that hold the hub bearing in and take the bearing and axle shaft out? You should be able to replace the u joint with the bearing still attached.

OR, go to a junkyard and grab another axle shaft and buy a new wheel bearing or just buy a wheel bearing / shaft combo.
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
...tried a breaker bar and a 3ft steel pipe with two people and still nothing.
Use real penetrating oil instead of WD40, and use a longer breaker bar and sturdy extension pipe. Impact wrench might work as well. I've used a 5-6' pipe on a breaker bar to crack open the nut.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 09:08 AM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldersonfilm View Post
I'm only replacing the u-joint, so should I not apply heat? How would heat damage the hub?
The heat can melt the grease seals. ONLY use heat on hubs that are being replaced.

It is more difficult, and takes longer, but you can replace the u-joint with removing the unit hub.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
flatheadmatt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same issue with mine a couple of months ago. I got it to bust loose by tightening it first about a 1/16th which freed it....then I just loosened er up!
I used a 36mm socket and heavy duty breaker bar from Napa....I snapped two ratchets and two o'reilly breaker bars.....I also had a 3' pipe over the end of the breaker bar.
flatheadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
relgnarw
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I never understood why people remove the axle from the bearing to replace a u-joint. I just pull the bearing from the knuckle with the axle still attached, and change the joint. I'ts a little bulky but doable.

My onboard air build.
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/viair-install-02-tj-w-cruise-5-spd-1379665/[/url]
relgnarw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #11
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

PB blaster sucks and you'll end up breaking breaker bars on it. Broke 2 Snap On ones on the last one I tried without soaking it.

Go pickup some cheap ATF (doesn't matter what kind) and a bottle of acetone. Mix them 50/50 in an industrial spray bottle (like $5 at Lowes) and soak the nut in it. Soak it like 3-4 times over an hour and it should come right off. Make sure you hose it down real good in brake cleaner when you're done because acetone is really flammable, like it'll ignite under friction flammable. Works better than any penetrating oil you can buy.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Wearingthin
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Harbor freight sells electric impact guns for like $20 and I can almost guarantee that'll get it off unless you have one of those nasty salted up Yankee jeeps

My Build Thread
Wearingthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
donthelegend
1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you have to put a 3 or 4 foot pipe on it to break it loose, don't use a 1/2" breaker bar that doesn't have a warranty. Broke two Craftsman 1/2" breaker bars, then bought a 3/4" drive socket to use with the 3/4" breaker bar. That one actually held up to the 3 foot pipe.
donthelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #14
JbmLaredo

Sea foam deep creep amazing stuff IMO as good if not better than aerokroil and its less than half the price
JbmLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #15
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearingthin View Post
Harbor freight sells electric impact guns for like $20 and I can almost guarantee that'll get it off unless you have one of those nasty salted up Yankee jeeps
Yeah, an electric impact from Harbor Freight is the end all be all of tools.

WANTED: YJ Rollbar - PM for details.
Motorcharge is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.