Stroked small Block chevy - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stroked small Block chevy

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 08-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #1
4x4life

Stroked small Block chevy

Let me start off by saying i love the 4.0 it makes lots of power is practically Bombproof. But there comes a time in every cherokee's life where it begins to demand more power. And that time is amoung us Gentlemen.

I want to put a stroked 383 SBC in the Jeep.

I Am gonna need some serious help. First off, Can i keep my AW4 or will i need a 4 on the Floor? 2nd, besides the motor and intake manifold and exhaust manifold what else will i need?

Also has this been done before and does it fit under the hood? will i need special motor mounts?

I am really seriously considering this and i need some help from anyone that can lend it. Thank you

90 Cherokee XJ - [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Flat Black[/COLOR] - 4.0 - aw4 - np242 - Around 6" of lift (3" springs 3" blocks 2.5"spacers 3"AAL) [COLOR=Red]Rough country [/COLOR] - 31x10.5" coursers - Some lights - Custom bumper-Class 5 rear hitch- Flowmaster 40 exhaust - k&N intake- [B]Surco safari rack[/B]

[QUOTE=tealcherokee]if i wanted a hummer, id call your sister:dunno:[/QUOTE]
4x4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
ColinMoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4life
Let me start off by saying i love the 4.0 it makes lots of power is practically Bombproof. But there comes a time in every cherokee's life where it begins to demand more power. And that time is amoung us Gentlemen.

I want to put a stroked 383 SBC in the Jeep.

I Am gonna need some serious help. First off, Can i keep my AW4 or will i need a 4 on the Floor? 2nd, besides the motor and intake manifold and exhaust manifold what else will i need?

Also has this been done before and does it fit under the hood? will i need special motor mounts?

I am really seriously considering this and i need some help from anyone that can lend it. Thank you
I researched it. It can be done: you need to fab up entirely new motor mounts, take a hammer to your firewall so the distributor (or is it oil filter? its one for Chevys and the other for Fords, but I don't remember which) can fit, and on top of that, look at Advance Adaptors for a new bellhousing for the transmission.

Very expensive, especially when you look at stroking your 4.0 as an alternative.

Also, take into consideration that high torque = body twisting. The XJ is a uniframe vehicle, so stress from a torquey V8 can and will twist your frame unless you strengthen it, by welding some c-channel iron on to your subframe.

On top of all of this, exhaust is an angry b!tch - you'll have no where to run the exhaust unless you port it out through the front fenders, unless you like bangin your pipes on rocks. There's literally no room under the XJ to run the dual exhausts.

When I was 17 I too wanted to put a 302 V8 in my Cherokee. Too much work.
ColinMoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
Moose_God
1994 XJ Cherokee 

If I could ever get a hold of a 2wd MJ I'd drop a 383 stroker in there in a heartbeat....Mmmm fast jeep
94 Cherokee Sport 4wd (converted from 2wd), AW4, NP231 w/SYE, 6" bastard lift, RC drop brackets, IRO trackbar, 33x12.5 Goodyear MTRs, HDoffroad subframe connectors, prerunner front bumper, homebrew rear bumper, flowmaster 40, 96 booster swap., upgraded headlight harness, 4.56 gears (finally!!!)
Moose_God is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2005, 12:19 PM   #4
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

[Have not done it, and won't be, but] SBCs are a very popular swap into XJs, though the SBC 350 is more popular than the 383 or 400. LT1 or LS1 swaps are popular. Adding a V8 is said to cause cooling issues (due to restriction of space in the engine bay). My experience with the online community thus far suggests that you'll find much more info on the swap on the NAXJA forum, or Pirate4x4.com and...

here's a link or two to get you started:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62753
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56848

If you're looking for parts/adapters, http://www.advanceadapters.com/ has adapters for 350s, at least, & might have something for the 383.

YES, you will need different engine mounts. You ought to fabricate brackets/frame stiffeners as well, just to be safe, b/c the XJ is a unibody. You will PROBABLY need special exhaust headers b/c there will be little room for two headers

Note: one way to keep your AW4 is to go with a Ford 5.0 instead--from what I gather, the AW4 can be adapted to that engine (the 5.0 is another popular swap for XJs). At any rate, the AW4 in stock form will handle 400hp/400ft-lbs--it's the same tranny used in the Toyota Supra (or they used to use it). This company can build your existing AW4 to handle even more power (900hp), according to the guys on NAXJA: http://www.levelten.com/ --and w/a stroked 383 you just may need to build up your AW4.

Personally I'd recommend a stroked 4.0 (yielding 4.6 or 4.7L, monstrous torque & sufficient horsepower [285-360hp]): [see posts #9 & #12] http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62141

So, you want power to run big tires? or to run at the drag strip? I ask b/c it will affect the kind of build up you're going to do (e.g. what kind of camshaft do you want to run--where do you want the power, low RPM or high RPM?).

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
H8CMENT

You may want to consider a small block Ford instead. The distributor is in the front so you will not need to "clearance" the firewall area like you will on a Chevy engine. It use to be that a SBC was a hell of a lot cheaper to build then a SBF. Nowadays this is just no longer true. You can build a 400+ HP 331 Ford engine with TONS of torque for not a lot of moola. You can pull an HO engine from a Mustang and order the Ford Motorsport main wire harness kit that is very easy to work with. You will have unlimited aftermarket performance parts that you can toss at it too. The lower end of SBF engines are practically bulletproof so you can beat the snot out of them all day long.

Just an idea for ya.
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #6
inkslinger

i have a sbc 350 that i'll sell you, it was pro built at golens. it puts out around 375/400 it has low miles but it has been in storage for a few years turns over by hand. it would save you a lot of cash.

i'm in MA, so not far from you.
34 X 12.50 Trxus M/T
89 XJ sport, black 2-door, 5-speed. "sold"
[url]http://img89.exs.cx/img89/9431/dscf07485su.jpg[/url]
inkslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2005, 01:20 PM   #7
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

AW4 is a 4 speed, The Supra is a 5Spd Auto 6spd Manual
Unread 08-19-2005, 07:06 PM   #8
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Well, if the 302 will fit, then a

351 certainly should--no? I have a 351 bored and stroked to 425 in my full size Bronco--stuffed into an XJ--wow!
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
mecompco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2005, 07:47 PM   #9
Tom Gralewski
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i also got a 302 ford that come complete with ecu and all wiring from a 88f150 that Ive been trying to sell forever. I ve been asking 250 for it. It has 120k miles on it and doesnt burn any oil to my knowledge.
Tom Gralewski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2005, 10:48 AM   #10
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperStreetJeep
The Supra is a 5Spd Auto
Not according to this, & other sources:
http://www.transtec.com/selector_guide/Toyota.htm
[note: the AW4 & the A340 are the same transmission--the only difference is, the AW4 was made to accept a transfer case behind it (from what I've read, the A340 may/may not be adapted to fit a Jeep... I guess the jury is still out on that)--anyway, the internals & quality are the same.

Perhaps the newer Supras use a different tranny?

Anyway, the point is, the AW4 can handle quite a bit of power, but you'll have to buy an adapter bellhousing to make it work w/the SBC. Like H8CMENT wrote, HO Mustang engines are widely available, & from what I'm told, easier to adapt to the XJ.

And, if it hasn't been mentioned yet, you're going to need all the emissions wiring, & the computer, when you do the swap. I believe it is illegal to put a carbeurated engine into a previously-EFI Jeep, so you can't get around the emissions stuff.

Once again, stroking the XJ's 4.0L is almost certainly cheaper & easier. But probably less fun, I admit.

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2005, 11:08 AM   #11
SuperStreetJeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

new supra's? they dont make that car anymore

edit: I stand corrected
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/sp...IP&tab=2&sub=1
Unread 08-20-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
4x4life

The 383 was not the only option i'm considered, i also am looking into 350's Mustang 5.0's (302) or even a small block Mopar. I may consider stroking my 4.0 as well. How much will it cost, how much work will it be and how much horsepower will i gain by stroking the 4.0?
90 Cherokee XJ - [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Flat Black[/COLOR] - 4.0 - aw4 - np242 - Around 6" of lift (3" springs 3" blocks 2.5"spacers 3"AAL) [COLOR=Red]Rough country [/COLOR] - 31x10.5" coursers - Some lights - Custom bumper-Class 5 rear hitch- Flowmaster 40 exhaust - k&N intake- [B]Surco safari rack[/B]

[QUOTE=tealcherokee]if i wanted a hummer, id call your sister:dunno:[/QUOTE]
4x4life is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2005, 06:09 PM   #13
isezumi00

That all depends on how much you want to spend on stroking it.

You can do a fairly simple 4.6 stroke, I think it runs about 600-800 if you part it out yourself, and I believe that pulls you into the 220/295 ranage. Then I hear tell that there is a decently expensive 4.9 stroke that puts you about 300/360.

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/stroker.html
isezumi00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2005, 08:15 PM   #14
firefighter1c57
SPACE FOR RENT

[QUOTE=xj-xile]
If you're looking for parts/adapters, http://www.advanceadapters.com/ has adapters for 350s, at least, & might have something for the 383.QUOTE]
A Chevy 383 is a 350. It's just a 350 punched out 30 over with a small block 400 crank in it. Like stroking a 4.0 to a 4.6 etc.

I bring NOTHING to the table.
firefighter1c57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-03-2006, 03:55 AM   #15
crushtheogre

stroke it

You can easily stroke that 4.0 for under $800. You can have my 4.2 long block for $50 just come and get it. You'll need rods, it might have one broken one but it ran for a week after anyways. The crank should be good.
Paul

99 Ford F350 SD V10 Ext. cab, 6" skyjacker, 38 TSL SXs, 4.56s....
05 Jeep KJ Turbo Diesel 2.8CRD, Rustys 2.5" lift, Striker II module, EHM, EGR delete, 300 lbs TQ, 27mpg...
crushtheogre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.