stripped backup lamp switch threads - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-27-2015, 02:23 AM Thread Starter
AntChan
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Xj stripped backup lamp switch threads

First off, I have a '87 XJ Pioneer 4WD with a 4.0 and a BA10/5

So,I replaced my backup lamp switch this weekend, and while doing so, I stripped the transmission threads that the switch screws into. The old switch was in very tight, so I'm guessing that when the transmission was rebuild the "mechanic" really smoked the switch in there. I used very little torque when installing the new switch, but just as the switch started to slightly tighten I felt it loosen up again and the threads were shot. I removed the new switch and found that several stripped transmission threads came out with it.

For now the new switch is installed, but it has a slow drip of tranny fluid.

I'm looking at several options to fix this and I'd love some input, other than the usual "just scrap your BA10/5 and get something worth a crap"...

Here are my options...

1: add a sh*t ton of thread tape to the switch, reinstall it, and hope it never works its way out. (This is the least favorite option I've thought of)

2: Get a Timesert or helicoil kit that matches the switch threads, drill and tap the old stripped mounting hole, and have a permanent fix. (My preferred option)

3: Use one of the locktite thread repairkits, which use a 2 part compound, and just try to decently repair what remains of the threads. (also not my favorite option)

4: Tap the hole to a larger diameter, fill it with a plug, and just wire up a manual switch to use anytime I want to put my XJ in reverse. (this may be the most hassle free option, as I don't mind flipping a switch for reverse. The jeep is 28 years old and has almost 300K miles anyway.)

To make it a double kick in the sack, after testing the new switch, and ohm checking the old switch, there was nothing wrong with the switch in the first place. The fuse and bulbs are also good, and I get no voltage to the bulb socket while the jeep is in reverse, so I still have to track down a wiring issue.

Have any of you guys ever stripped this out before?

Also, if anyone knows a good link to the backup wiring diagram for this jeep, I'd appreciate it. I haven't found what I need on Autozone or anywhere on the net. Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-27-2015, 07:09 AM
shooptube
Bumpstops? HAHAHAH

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just had a similar option on my 97 with the ax-15. THe plug for the harness was not the match to the switch in the transmission so I wired it right to a toggle switched ignition circuit. Word of advice, use a toggle that lights up because I always forget to turn mine off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-27-2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
AntChan
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the advise shooptube. With the lack of wiring diagram information for this circuit, I think the direct toggle is probably the best option. I'd love to be able to install a Time-sert and feel like I repaired it correctly, but I'll probably just tap the hole and plug it tho. oh well, it's an old jeep. Nothings perfect.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-27-2015, 04:32 PM
XJNewt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Helicoils work great. Have to drill out the hole larger then screw in the Helicoil.

Helicoils work especially well in aluminum. When installed they provide a much stronger steel thread in the aluminum case that is less likely to strip out again in future.

Or you could go ubber cheap and use JB Weld. If you put some fine grease on the switch and then butter it up good with JB Weld and cram this into the hole (which itself must be clean of any oils) the JB weld should setup and bond to the tranny case but not to the buttered switch. Once its all dry you will have JB Weld threads and should be able to unscrew the switch (or not, in which case the switch wont be going anywhere soon).

I think shooptube has the best cheapest answer. You could refine the switch method further with the use of a roller switch under the shifter cover. If you fab a bracket you could mount the switch so it was depressed when the shifter was in reverse and it would work automatically, similarly to the backupswitch. No need to worry about turning it on or off.

Doctor says you're not supposed to get Monstaliner in your eye.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 PM
shooptube
Bumpstops? HAHAHAH

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJNewt View Post

I think shooptube has the best cheapest answer. You could refine the switch method further with the use of a roller switch under the shifter cover. If you fab a bracket you could mount the switch so it was depressed when the shifter was in reverse and it would work automatically, similarly to the backupswitch. No need to worry about turning it on or off.
That is a goof idea. Only reason I didnt do that was because I had a two way toggle already there and only one position was used so I just wired in the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke95 View Post

Vaginal condoms. I wheel a minivan.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-31-2015, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
AntChan
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the input. I've been doing some electrical testing and am close to a semi-factory solution for the lights. In the mean time, today I wrapped the switch with a crap ton of Teflon tape to minimize the gear oil leaking for now. I used my bore-scope to check out the hole and found that there were still some threads left, just not an adequate amount for proper torque and fluid seal. I'm thinking I'll use a Timesert to repair the hole. The thing I like most about the Timesert is that you create a chamfer on the outer side of the hole, so I don't have to worry about a helicoil threading deeper into the transmission as the switch is screwed in. Also a Timesert is a solid sleeve threaded on the OD and ID, not a spring.....

BTW, I'm super excited right now. I just checked out my rear diff, and realized that my XJ came with a Dana 44. I'm Super stoked! I just assumed, that when I bought my xj for $800, it would have the Dana "turdy-5" in the rear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.