Stretched TC case chain???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stretched TC case chain????

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-21-2005, 06:41 PM   #1
mk20rockeye
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Stretched TC case chain????

Need some second opinions here! My 92 with the 242 TC in it is making a not to nice noise while driving. But the kicker is it only happens in 2WD. Also it only seems to happen about 30 MPH. It doesen't matter if i am coasting down a hill in neutral or taking off, whatever it may be about 30 MPH it makes this noise. I lock it into either 4WD part time or full time and the noise disappears except only during a decel from a speed above 30 MPH. I rotate the front shaft in @WD and I can hear some noise from the case while in $wd there is none. May this be the chain in there making noise from it being stretched and slapping the case?????

1992 XJ Laredo 4.0L, AW4, NP242, 3.5" RE super ride
Definity Dakota 31x10.50 MT's Cragar soft 8

Marine Corps Jeep club member #9
mk20rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2005, 12:13 AM   #2
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

Unlikely. In 4wd with the rear on the ground, front up, how far can you rotate the front drive shaft until it stops? Shouldn't have much play. If there is, your chain might be messed.

But I don't see the chain in a 242 getting stretched unless you use part time on the road...

Do you have a vacuum disconnected axle?
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #3
mk20rockeye
1995 XJ Cherokee 

with the np242. i do not believe it has the vaccum dissconnected axle, although i am not sure since i am new to this jeep thing and have had this about 3 weeks. as far as the play in the front drive shaft. i notice it most in 2wd, but has mimimal play. Although with the play it does have i can hear some slap noise coming from the transfer case

1992 XJ Laredo 4.0L, AW4, NP242, 3.5" RE super ride
Definity Dakota 31x10.50 MT's Cragar soft 8

Marine Corps Jeep club member #9

Last edited by mk20rockeye; 10-22-2005 at 09:54 AM..
mk20rockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2005, 04:51 PM   #4
DirtyCommanche
Web Wheeler

Have you changed the fluid in it? It might be cooked (takes any type of ATF, but they recomend Dexon/Mercon III).
DirtyCommanche is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.