Stretched my Xj, now some questions. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stretched my Xj, now some questions.

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #16
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertXj88 View Post
I have no sways, so I guess thats why it felt so much better at highway speeds..before it just felt..twitchy. Wanted to go everywhere everytime it hit a bump. Not soaks it up and keeps on tracking true.
Swaybar shouldn't affect bump- absorbing quality that much. If everything is ok. it only makes a little difference in ride (ie. a bit harsh on certain type of bigger hits on one side only), but that's about it. Your Jeep shouldn't try turning or swaying in any direction with the sway bar connected - it actually should reduce that kind of behaviour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by habbyguy View Post
..but I'll just say I'd NEVER use my DD XJ on the road without a sway bar, especially after I lifted it. ... Without sway bars, when (not if) you have to do a violent maneuver, the XJ will do its best to point its chassis at the sky. Look at the tales of rolled (on the road) XJs and you'll see a common thread throughout (missing sway bars).
I've driven both my XJs and my ZJ with and without swaybars on highways. Even the ZJ is suprsignly stable without the swaybars, although I'm only at 1.75" lift and running 32s. There is a clear difference in body roll of course, and I cannot recommend running without swaybars either. But it's not that bad.

Considering I had the front sway bar connected (it was the stiffest one used on XJs) when I flipped my XJ on a parking lot doing ~15mph. I had 4" lift and 35s. Sure, I was playing a bit when that happened, but I can say it went over very easily and quickly So if it's gonna roll, it's gonna roll. These things flip fairly easily if you're running stock axles and some lift + bigger tires, even with the sway bar connected. <even easier to do that w/o swaybar.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #17
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

All this chit chat and NO PICS??

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2012, 11:13 AM   #18
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyDanky View Post
All this chit chat and NO PICS??

Love that pic!
And ya I was going to say width should also make a difference, I've got 3.5" Bs wheels..its fairly wide for only having 10.5's on it. I will be switching to a 16x7, 235/85 soon though. Don't want a 33x10.5 but want that pizza cutter look. So a 235/85/16 is around 32x9..perfect

My comment about sways, was before it felt twitchy and idk...guess it didn't really fit I failed!
I think it felt twitchy because the axle needed to be further forward honestly..little bumps would make it want to change course. And speedbumps felt like crap, I think I posted it in the begening of the thread..it just felt like I was riding with my axle way too far back, just rough.
Thats why all this started lol.

Pics will be coming I promise..not much to see..just a xj will a slight stretch lol.
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Pics coming tomorrow guys. I had some ******* walk off with my front tires last night some time! Cops are "looking" for them..so I got some street slick BFG at's in the 235 onit for mock up only lol.
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.