Stretched chain = noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Stretched chain = noise?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #1
thuper

Stretched chain = noise?

My jeep has a loud noise coming from somewhere underneath and I'd like to know what it could be. I was just wondering if a stretched transfer case would make more noise than usual. I've got the 231 and I know the jeeps been driven on the streets in 4wd so the chain is probably stretched. Could the chain be my noise?

[SIZE=3][COLOR=white]White Jeep Club #12[/COLOR] [/SIZE]
thuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2003, 08:18 PM   #2
LIjeeperXJ

Get under there

Have you climbed underneath? It's probably the exhaust. Go under and look at sway bar links, shake the pipes, stuff like that. Since you say TC, does it only happen when the truck is in 4x4? Could be something simple like UVs up front that are worn out. Shake the front shaft and see if there is play in the UV/CV. And what kind of noise is it, clicking, churping, grinding.
LIjeeperXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 01:41 PM   #3
LOCKED UP
Senior Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah you need to get under there and look around. Or you need to be a little more descriptive with where the noise is coming from. SOmewhere underneath is kinda vague... when does the noise occur? All the time? Under acceleration? Braking? 4x4?

Sure a strecthed chain can make noise, but so can a loose bar pin.

98 XJ
LOCKED UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 02:00 PM   #4
level2pharma

check fluid in Transfer case, chain will be noisy if low on fluid
level2pharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 02:26 PM   #5
thuper

The noise is just everywhere behind the front seats, and a little louder on the drivers side. Its a grinding noise that I am certain is coming from something mechanical.

[SIZE=3][COLOR=white]White Jeep Club #12[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

Last edited by thuper; 04-20-2003 at 02:45 PM..
thuper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 04:17 PM   #6
antibob
2003 WJ 

Hi Thumper,

I have a 88' grand wagoneer that is giving me the same simtomes as you.

I am getting some sort of crazy noise from the transfer case, not a grinding noise, but more like a bad bearing noise.

I get the noise in all conditions, 2 and 4 wheel drive.

I have a little bit of slop in the front and rear drive shatf going into the tranfer case.

Anyway, I jacked my rear end off the ground and let the car idle in drive to pin point the transfer case.

Can someone give some advice as to how to check the tranfer case fluid? Also, can someone tell me what kind of fluid I need to add to the the tranfer case if it is low..

thanks,
AB

Here is a picture of my ride: http://www.diywebserver.com/images/jeep1.jpg
antibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2003, 11:38 PM   #7
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally posted by antibob

Can someone give some advice as to how to check the tranfer case fluid? Also, can someone tell me what kind of fluid I need to add to the the tranfer case if it is low..
What transfer case do those Grand Waggys have? If its the same as in our Cherokees you just open up the fill hole (top hole) put your finger in and you should touch fluid. The transfer case is full when the fluid is up to the fill hole. Correct fluid is ATF.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2003, 11:13 AM   #8
antibob
2003 WJ 

thanks

Eric,
Thanks for the quick response.

I am not sure what kind of tranfer case I have. I supose I will find out today when I roll up my sleaves and climb under it.

So any dextron III ATF will do for the transfer case fluid?

Thanks a bunch.

Great forum!

- AB
antibob is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.