Strange Vibration upon acceleration, sometimes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Strange Vibration upon acceleration, sometimes

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 11-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
zeaman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Strange Vibration upon acceleration, sometimes

I recently put heavy duty rear leaf springs on my 01 xj, it lifted the rear way more than I thought and I had major driveshaft vibration. I added the shims and installed a transfer case lowering kit and it smoothed everything out. However, lately I have noticed when accelerating hard and steady, that there is a vibration/knocking under the center of the car, and I can feel it in my feet. It doesnt feel like the old vibration, or an exhaust rub, would this be a U joint, or is this a little vibration left over from the drive shaft?

zeaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Re-torque all suspension bolts.
had a friend do a small lift. Never went back over the bolts after several hundred miles. Had a shake on accel.. I found the passenger u-bolts loose...
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
zeaman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Like the U bolts on the rear axle that hold the leafs down?
Unread 11-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
cory4um
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeaman View Post
Like the U bolts on the rear axle that hold the leafs down?
Yup.
Its worth looking into.
cory4um is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
zeaman
2001 XJ Cherokee 

All of the bolts are tight, I noticed today the vibration is only noticeable under a lot of force. Could this be drive shaft u joints?
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeaman View Post
...... noticed today the vibration is only noticeable under a lot of force. Could this be drive shaft u joints?
Very likely so. Any lift will often bring to light worn out u-joints. Vibes that are acceleration only, or deceleration only, are usually from worn u-joints. U-joints are cheap and easy, you probably could use some fresh ones.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #7
joshrad
Who needs roads?

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Very likely so. Any lift will often bring to light worn out u-joints. Vibes that are acceleration only, or deceleration only, are usually from worn u-joints. U-joints are cheap and easy, you probably could use some fresh ones.
I've been thinking of doing my driveshaft u-joints too. Spicer 1310's are the correct ones for the driveshafts right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJames1226 View Post
Once the members of jeepforum get drunk enough, anyone can be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz_Soldier
Wait! Does that mean XJs are Xtreme Jeeps?
joshrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
Spicer 1310's are the correct ones for the driveshafts right?
Yes.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.