strange tick-tick-tick? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > strange tick-tick-tick?

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
9t3country
1993 XJ Cherokee 

strange tick-tick-tick?

'93 4.0 is making some ticking (164,000 on it, use Mobil 1 10/30 ) - I'm assuming it is valve noise - what's strange is that it only does it when its cold, and the ticking starts only after it runs for a few minutes, and it only lasts for a couple minutes, then it sounds fine.

...so my question is is this something to be overly concerned with? thank you!

9t3country is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
XJH-007

Congrats! You've just come a member of the Cracked Manifold club!

Don't worry, most of us have been there.........

one word............... EBAY

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
9t3country
1993 XJ Cherokee 

yep, looking at other posts that has to be the prob - thanks for the diagnosis... how soon should I get this replaced, & should I put a stock replacement on or a header (not really looking for increased performance - besides gas mileage -would the header make a big difference? also, who should I buy from (EBay scares me -got burned once :-( \

thanks again!
9t3country is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Meatroach
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have a cracked mannifold and mine was doing that too...i ran some seafoam and it cleaned out all teh deposits and now no ticks!
[COLOR="Red"]3.5" Warrior coils, Full leaf packs, Skyjacker Quick Disconnects, Rear swaybar delete, Pro Comp shocks, HD Steering stabilizer, BFG AT's, 1" drop shackles, Front tow hooks,Front skid, Warn T-case skid

bcjeepclub.ca
Meatroach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine just started clicking I have to fix some other things before I get to it. When I do I will get a good header maybe banks but haven't looked into it much so I can't recommend which one to get . I have A Toyota truck that has been known for cracking manifolds and it has had a header on it since I got it 6 years ago and no problems. I was told a long time ago that a leaking manifold will burn valves. But then someone said that a leaking manifold is not the cause for burning valves. I still think old school and would not put it off to long.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
treem06tj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what did you add that seafoam to? i need to get rid of this noise and if that helps i'm going to have to do it.
treem06tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a $6 can of Rislone at CKS and dumped er in the crank case. 30s later it stoped and its been quite for a month. Mine tick tick tick was just valve tap from a sticky lifter. Try that first before taring out the exause manifold.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.