strange tick-tick-tick? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > strange tick-tick-tick?

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 01-10-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
9t3country
1993 XJ Cherokee 

strange tick-tick-tick?

'93 4.0 is making some ticking (164,000 on it, use Mobil 1 10/30 ) - I'm assuming it is valve noise - what's strange is that it only does it when its cold, and the ticking starts only after it runs for a few minutes, and it only lasts for a couple minutes, then it sounds fine.

...so my question is is this something to be overly concerned with? thank you!

9t3country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
XJH-007

Congrats! You've just come a member of the Cracked Manifold club!

Don't worry, most of us have been there.........

one word............... EBAY

Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland
XJH-007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
9t3country
1993 XJ Cherokee 

yep, looking at other posts that has to be the prob - thanks for the diagnosis... how soon should I get this replaced, & should I put a stock replacement on or a header (not really looking for increased performance - besides gas mileage -would the header make a big difference? also, who should I buy from (EBay scares me -got burned once :-( \

thanks again!
9t3country is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #4
Meatroach
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I don't have a cracked mannifold and mine was doing that too...i ran some seafoam and it cleaned out all teh deposits and now no ticks!
[COLOR="Red"]3.5" Warrior coils, Full leaf packs, Skyjacker Quick Disconnects, Rear swaybar delete, Pro Comp shocks, HD Steering stabilizer, BFG AT's, 1" drop shackles, Front tow hooks,Front skid, Warn T-case skid

bcjeepclub.ca
Meatroach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Mine just started clicking I have to fix some other things before I get to it. When I do I will get a good header maybe banks but haven't looked into it much so I can't recommend which one to get . I have A Toyota truck that has been known for cracking manifolds and it has had a header on it since I got it 6 years ago and no problems. I was told a long time ago that a leaking manifold will burn valves. But then someone said that a leaking manifold is not the cause for burning valves. I still think old school and would not put it off to long.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #6
treem06tj
2006 TJ Wrangler 

what did you add that seafoam to? i need to get rid of this noise and if that helps i'm going to have to do it.
treem06tj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I picked up a $6 can of Rislone at CKS and dumped er in the crank case. 30s later it stoped and its been quite for a month. Mine tick tick tick was just valve tap from a sticky lifter. Try that first before taring out the exause manifold.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.