strange squeaking noise when turning - can't pinpoint - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > strange squeaking noise when turning - can't pinpoint

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-06-2005, 09:31 AM   #1
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

strange squeaking noise when turning - can't pinpoint

'97 XJ
108K - 4.0L

So as my title mentions, I have this very strange squeaking noise when turning left or right, as if into a parking space or around a corner. Its a simple squeak-squeak-squeak noise that I can't place. At first I thought it was my power steering pump, and since adding fluid didn't fix it, I completely replaced it. Unfortuantely, that wasn't it. My s-belt isn't too terribly old (no more than 30K-40K on it) and is only showing slight signs of cracking, no fraying whatsoever. It is not loose either.

Also, it is an inconsistent sound and doesn't seem to matter if the engine is hot or cold. Somedays it will happen around every turn, others, not at all. Is there anything else anyone can think of that might be the issue? Can wheel bearings squeak if old and worn? I bought a new belt today but I hate this hit and miss type of diagnosing, so if anyone has any thoughts, they would be much appreciated. thanks.

Unread 04-06-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
crashod

Have you checked out all your bushings? Do you get the noise when you're articulating(sp?) in a straight line? Could be any number of things. You could be rubbing just slightly at full turns. But I wouldn't think that, that's the issue. I would say you need grease somewhere or you need a new bushing somewhere upfront.

Runs Great $750.00 From Second owner.
Everything but the Cruise control Works.

[URL=http://www.pms-clan.com/images/Forums/jeep/stuck_030505/stuck1.jpg]Stuck[/URL]
[url=http://www.pms-clan.com/images/Forums/jeep/crashod_new_rims_2.jpg]New Rims. Sorry It's so Dark[/url]
[url=http://rental01.routedtechnologies.com/html/images/dirty_jeep1.jpg]My Jeep[/url]
[url=http://rental01.routedtechnologies.com/html/images/dirty_jeep2.jpg]My Jeep 2[/url]
crashod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2005, 10:41 AM   #3
xj-xile
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashod
I would say you need grease somewhere or you need a new bushing somewhere upfront.
If it's a steering noise, that would be my suggestion, as well. A friend at work had a similar noise (2000 XJ, I think it was), & it turned out to need some grease--it was either some component in the steering column or the front end (i.e. the bushings mentioned are some of them greaseable). Some bushings may rot away, requiring replacement.

But the description as a 'squeak-squeak-squeak' makes it sound like it's not a steering noise but a wheel noise? You mentioned bearings, but bearings (usually) don't squeak so much as grind when they're going bad. I don't think bad balljoints would squeak like that, either.

Maybe, like crashod suggested, it's just some component of the steering or suspension rubbing the wheel--in which case, have someone drive the Jeep for you, slowly turning at full lock, while you watch & listen from outside the vehicle. Or just turn the wheels to full lock yourself while parked, & look underneath--if something's making contact with the wheel, I would assume it would be visible under those conditions. Otherwise, look at all the front end components near the wheels, & see whether any of the parts look like they've been scraped/bent/damaged by contact w/the wheels.

2WD '96 XJ Country 4.0 auto -- 134,000 miles
and... see my photography
xj-xile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

Ok, so this past weekend I took off my front tires and greased every lube point up as best I could, checked the wheel too see if anything was rubbing it, nothing. I did notice, however, there are a number of rubber bushings that are quite dried and cracked. Just the simple greasing did nothing. Still the same squeak-squeak-squeak. I also did as mentioned, and had someone drive in a circle around me while I tried to figure out where this noise was coming from. I failed to pinpoint its source.

Think its a problem with one of the bushings needing replacing? I don't really understand though how if a bushing is bad how it will generate this squeaking noise while turning.
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #5
Kuasimodem

If the squeeking noise varies speed and goes faster as you go faster around a corner, it's a universal joint at one of the wheels. One of the 4 bearing cups is dry and binding enough to make the noise.
White Jeep Club Member #1992
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #5!
Old Guy Jeep Club Member #1992

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help." - Ronald Reagan
Kuasimodem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 08:56 AM   #6
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

I will check that when I go to lunch today...
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:00 AM   #7
Vertisce
2007 JK Wrangler 

I get a squeaking noise when I turn too...but it doesnt happen ALL the time and only when turning. But it sounds like its coming from the steering column itself. I really havent thought to try to fix it...I figured it was just part of the steering column rubbing against some plastic or something...
Vertisce is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryosis
I get a squeaking noise when I turn too...but it doesnt happen ALL the time and only when turning. But it sounds like its coming from the steering column itself. I really havent thought to try to fix it...I figured it was just part of the steering column rubbing against some plastic or something...
I think I am familliar with the squeak you're talking about. I get one from within my steering column too when its cold out. That one is more of an interior noise, IMO. This is definitely different and on the outside of the vehicle. Loud enough that when I'm turning into a parking space or something like that people look.
Unread 04-12-2005, 09:33 AM   #9
dakotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoboscratch
I think I am familliar with the squeak you're talking about. I get one from within my steering column too when its cold out. That one is more of an interior noise, IMO. This is definitely different and on the outside of the vehicle. Loud enough that when I'm turning into a parking space or something like that people look.
Im pretty sure that interior noise is from that rubber splash guard thingy around the steering wheel. Mine squeeks when its cold too.
Unread 04-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
HuNtS

mine squeeks when i'm turning, and from what i've seen when i looked at it i need new front u joints, they are shot completely
-2.5 i4 :( (i wanted a 4.0) lol------------------------------
-Chrysler 8.25" Rear-----------------------------------------
---Stock-------------------------------------------------------
HuNtS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2005, 12:08 PM   #11
hoboscratch
2013 JK Wrangler 

delayed update as I just thought about this today for some reason. But it was the ujoint after all. My right one was trashed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.